SQL Jobs Execution

• Hi All,

In the pord. server, there are 25 DB's and I was requested for Creating Database Backup by 12:00 AM

In Addition, each database having around atleast 50 GB.

For this, Created Job and inside created steps for creating backup for each database.

When I execute the job its moving step1 to step 25, means moving one after one but my requiremet is to create backup for all the database at the same time 12:00.

For the above situation is there any way to have the cut-off at 12:00 ?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Regards,

Mohanraj Jayaraman

• Hi why would you need to start all at the same time? Where do you backup to? Disk or tape? Anyway if you start 25 backupjobs at the same time io will be heavy loaded on the receiving end.

When you say backup by 12 - do you mean all jobs should end. I would recommend that you create a maintenance plan to backup your databases.

This sounds very much like Sharepoint databases so what we have done is:

Weekly: 1 full backup

3days: Incremental backup

Hourly: Translog backup

(We use LiteSpeed to compress)

Whats important is to have the restore strategy and procedures what works.

I cannot think of why you want to cut-off a half-done backupjob. If time doesnt permit - create a new maint job with a time schedule that fits the requirement. And test that restore works - and how long time it takes. A few of those "requirements or wishes" are not very well thought of. But carefull planning with other departments usually do the trick and everyone is happy.

• Have you tried creating an individual backup job for each database? This way they can all run in parallel rather than having 1 job which backs them up sequentially.

• Okay, I agree with your point - If I start all the activity at the same time for sure server will get into hung stage.

Intension of this requirement is to restore this database to the reporting server and these reports would be used for business users (Primarly Reports)

Users can take one day old reports also they are okay with this.

Otherwise, just wanted to know is it possible to cut-off the database backup till exactly 12:00 (specific date and time through sql query)

For ex:

backup database --- may be yyyymmdd:12:00:00 😀

I appretiate your effort for taking time for reply.

Regards,

Mohanraj Jayaraman

• It's easier to add filters to your reports to only use data before {today}-00:00hr.

Even when you start a job at exact 24:00hr it can take some time before the action begins. So a few seconds of the next day will most likely be backed-up as well. When you start multiple jobs at once the server becomes under stress and more time is needed to actually start the action inside the job.

** Don't mistake the ‘stupidity of the crowd’ for the ‘wisdom of the group’! **

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply