SQL Job Timeline (Graphical)

• Hi Vinay,

the trick is to right-click on the results and select "Copy with Headers".

That copies the column names too.

• This script is great!!! It's something I've wanted but even beginning it was way over my head. I assume you are using conditional formatting on the cell color in Excel? Brilliant!

Instead of the previous 24 hours, do you have anything that looks at what's sheduled and coming up?

Thanks!

--@ The Wiz, when I run your script, it does not give each time increment, only the records where the job ran. So when I put it in Excel, I don't get the graph I get when the orig. script is pasted in with (all 0s and 1s).

• Hi Lisa!

If you really want to see all the time-slots, not just the "interesting ones" (where 1 or more jobs are running),

then grab the now-fixed script from above and SET @ShowJobCollisionsOnly = -1

I took out the no-jobs-running timeslots to cut down on the data the script returns, to make it easier for people to scan the "important" bits, but I guess should have left the option to display them in there for people who wanted it 🙂

• Hello,

thank you, great skript.

i changed time(0) and cast to convert(DATETIME

then it worked for me (sql 2005)

regards

• This is a fantastic script but where i work i have 2 server still running SQL Server 2000. I have tried and tried to get the information to display the same way but just cant seem to get it to work.

Can anyone help me out and get the information to display the same way as it does with the original script?

• I tried getting the job names to pivot somehow in SQL 2000 (as we have a legacy server running it still...), but I gave up after a while too.

The closest I got to the original "pivoted" data was posted a bit further up in this thread: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/FindPost1414190.aspx.

A google search for SQL 2000 pivot brings up a few contenders for a solution.

Best of luck, and if anyone manages to solve it, please post the code here for others to use!

• Hi guys

Thought i would post again as i have managed to get ths to work for SQL Server 2000.

I know its porbably not the tidyest or most slick way of doing it but it works as the original script does. If anyone can edit and provide the code for a more slick example then i am open to suggestion.

set nocount on

declare @Minutes table (DT datetime)

declare @JobNames table (JobName varchar(255))

declare @dt datetime

declare @StartDT datetime

declare @EndDT datetime

declare @resolution int

declare @RemoveNonactiveJobs int

declare @IgnoreDisabledJobs int

--***************************************************************************************

-- Set variables

--***************************************************************************************

set @StartDT = getdate() - 1

set @EndDT = getdate()

set @resolution = 1 -- Enter the Resolution in minutes

set @RemoveNonactiveJobs = 1

set @IgnoreDisabledJobs = 1

-- Pre-run cleanup (just in case)

IF OBJECT_ID('tempdb..#Timeline') IS NOT NULL DROP TABLE #Timeline;

IF OBJECT_ID('tempdb..#JobRuntime') IS NOT NULL DROP TABLE #JobRuntime;

IF OBJECT_ID('tempdb..#Pivot') IS NOT NULL DROP TABLE #Pivot;

IF OBJECT_ID('tempdb..#tblTLine') IS NOT NULL DROP TABLE #tblTLine;

IF OBJECT_ID('tempdb..#tblTasks') IS NOT NULL DROP TABLE #tblTasks;

-- Make a Jobname table

insert into @JobNames (JobName)

selectreplace(name, ' ', '.') --Replace spaces (they are invalid in XML based pivot lower in the code)

frommsdb.dbo.sysjobs

whereenabled = @IgnoreDisabledJobs

--WHERE NAME = '<dbname>'

--WHERE NAME like '%<partial dbname>%'

-- Genereate a Datetime table between StartDT and EndDT with x minute Resolution

set @dt = @StartDT

WHILE @dt < @EndDT

begin

insert into @Minutes (DT) values(@DT)

set @dt= dateadd(mi, @resolution, @dt)

end

-- Create a timeline table by crossjoining the Datetime and Jobnames tables

select DT, JobName, 0 as Active

into #Timeline

from @Minutes cross join @JobNames

-- Create the Job Runtime information table

selectreplace(name, ' ', '.') as name --Replace spaces (they are invalid in XML based pivot lower in the code)

--,step_id

--,step_name

,CONVERT(DATETIME, CONVERT(CHAR(8), run_date, 112) + ' ' + STUFF(STUFF(RIGHT('000000' + CONVERT(VARCHAR(8), run_time), 6), 5, 0, ':'), 3, 0, ':'), 120) as SDT

,dateadd(s,

((run_duration/10000)%100 * 3600) + ((run_duration/100)%100 * 60) + run_duration%100 ,

CONVERT(DATETIME, CONVERT(CHAR(8), run_date, 112) + ' ' + STUFF(STUFF(RIGHT('000000' + CONVERT(VARCHAR(8), run_time), 6), 5, 0, ':'), 3, 0, ':'), 120)

) as EDT

--,CAST(STUFF(STUFF(REPLACE(STR(run_duration, 6), ' ', '0'), 3, 0, ':'), 6, 0, ':') AS time(0)) AS Duration

,((run_duration/10000)%100 * 3600) + ((run_duration/100)%100 * 60) + run_duration%100 DurationSeconds

into#JobRuntime

FROMmsdb.dbo.sysjobs job

left JOIN msdb.dbo.sysjobhistory his

ON his.job_id = job.job_id

whereCONVERT(DATETIME, CONVERT(CHAR(8), run_date, 112) + ' ' + STUFF(STUFF(RIGHT('000000' + CONVERT(VARCHAR(8), run_time), 6), 5, 0, ':'), 3, 0, ':'), 120) between @StartDT and @EndDT

andjob.name not in ('Database Mirroring Monitor Job', '<dbname>')

andstep_id = 0 -- step_id = 0 is the entrite job, step_id > 0 is actual step number

--and((run_duration/10000)%100 * 3600) + ((run_duration/100)%100 * 60) + run_duration%100 > 1 -- Ignore trivial runtimes

order by SDT

-- Update the Timeline based on the the Job Runtime information table

update#Timeline

setActive = 1

from#Timeline inner join #JobRuntime

onJobName = Name

and(

SDT between dt and dateadd(mi, @resolution - 1, DT) -- Start point (added for Resolution support)

or

EDT between dt and dateadd(mi, @resolution, DT) -- End point (added for Resolution support)

or

DT between SDT and EDT

)

-- Delete all jobs from the Timeline that that had no activity

if @RemoveNonactiveJobs = 1

delete

from#Timeline

whereJobName in(selectJobname

from#Timeline

group by Jobname

havingsum(active) = 0 )

-- Build and Pivot the Timeline table

create table #Pivot (DT varchar(250) null, Name varchar(250) null, Active int null)

-- col1 = row, col2 = column, col3 = data

insertinto #Pivot

selectconvert(varchar(250), DT, 120), JobName, Active

from#Timeline

--~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DECLARE @SQL nvarchar(4000)

DECLARE @TaskName nvarchar(100)

SET NOCOUNT ON

CREATE TABLE #tblTLine (

[DT] varchar(200)

)

CREATE TABLE #tblTasks (

[Tasks] varchar(200)

)

INSERT INTO #tblTasks (

[Tasks]

)

select DISTINCT

Name

from #Pivot

INSERT INTO #tblTLine (

[DT]

)

select DISTINCT

[DT]

from #Pivot

ORDER BY DT

--WHERE Active = 1

-- Build Table

DECLARE cur CURSOR FOR

select DISTINCT

[Tasks]

from #tblTasks

OPEN cur

FETCH NEXT FROM cur INTO @TaskName

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0

BEGIN

SET @SQL = 'ALTER TABLE #tblTLine ADD [' + @TaskName + '] nchar(1) NULL'

EXEC (@SQL)

SET @SQL = ''

SET @SQL = 'UPDATE #tblTLine SET [' + @TaskName + '] = ''0'''

EXEC (@SQL)

FETCH NEXT FROM cur INTO @TaskName

END

CLOSE cur

DEALLOCATE cur

-- Update Table

DECLARE @SQLUpdate nvarchar(4000)

DECLARE @Time nvarchar(100)

DECLARE @Name nvarchar(100)

DECLARE @Active nchar(1)

DECLARE curUpdate CURSOR FOR

SELECT

[DT],

[Name],

[Active]

FROM #Pivot

WHERE Active = 1

OPEN curUpdate

FETCH NEXT FROM curUpdate INTO @Time, @Name, @Active

WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0

BEGIN

SET @SQLUpdate = 'UPDATE #tblTLine SET [' + @Name + '] = ''1'' WHERE [DT] = ''' + @Time + ''''

EXEC (@SQLUpdate)

FETCH NEXT FROM curUpdate INTO @Time, @Name, @Active

END

CLOSE curUpdate

DEALLOCATE curUpdate

SET NOCOUNT OFF

-- Output the Timeline table

SELECT * FROM #tblTLine

-- Cleanup

IF OBJECT_ID('tempdb..#Timeline') IS NOT NULL DROP TABLE #Timeline;

IF OBJECT_ID('tempdb..#JobRuntime') IS NOT NULL DROP TABLE #JobRuntime;

IF OBJECT_ID('tempdb..#Pivot') IS NOT NULL DROP TABLE #Pivot;

IF OBJECT_ID('tempdb..#tblTLine') IS NOT NULL DROP TABLE #tblTLine;

IF OBJECT_ID('tempdb..#tblTasks') IS NOT NULL DROP TABLE #tblTasks;

• Thanks ryanwooster1980 😀

It will be much appreciated by the poor sods that still have to maintain SQL2000 databases.

I for one still have 2 old boxes that were virtualized because the hardware was getting really unreliable.

• yeah I have 2 PRODUCTION db's still running this version of SQL server...I have further altered the script to make it a dynamic SP and have set the spreadsheet up to be refreshable so i just pass the server in and hey presto, easy real time checking 🙂

• Love this script and the excel template. Thanks.:-)

I have modified the line below by adding @@servername. This gives me a clearer picture on which SQL instance the report was run.

from

SELECT col1 as DT,' + @cols + N'

to

SELECT col1 as '+@@SERVERNAME+'_DT,' + @cols + N'

• Very Nice with some useful tweaks in the thread.

Thanks

• This looks like it's going to be fun. Thanks.

• Can I recommend that you add a SQL tab to the spreadsheet and include the notes with it?

412-977-3526 call/text

• I love it.... and coincidentally I was working in the same problem but from a Powershell angle. Now I don't have to.

BTW... why do you have this:

your your WHERE statement:

andjob.name not in ('Database Mirroring Monitor Job', '<dbname>')

Is that left over from testing?

• argg... that's supposed to be <dbname>

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply