SQL Injection, Still?

• My taste changes each day (never straying to a Light "Beer" of course ;-)).

It's all good!!! ??

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• Gary Varga (2/17/2015)

GoofyGuy (2/17/2015)

IT these days looks more like a craft brewery where we keep changing the recipe: sometimes it works, and sometimes it's disgusting.

I'm tempted to make a comparison between American brewing and American coding, but shall refrain in the interest of trans-Atlantic comity.

Almost unbelievably it is unfair to talk of American craft beers like that nowadays. I had a terrific American IPA just last week.

Point taken - craft breweries probably do have a better track record than IT :hehe:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• GoofyGuy (2/17/2015)

I am in full agreement of porters and stouts though. The darker the beer the better for me.

Aye, it's best when carved with a fork and knife!

It eliminates the need to eat. 😛

Need help? Help us help you.

Read the article at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/ for best practices on asking questions.

Need to split a string? Try Jeff Modens splitter http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Tally+Table/72993/.

Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 1 – Converting Rows to Columns - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/T-SQL/63681/
    Cross Tabs and Pivots, Part 2 - Dynamic Cross Tabs - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Crosstab/65048/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 1) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69953/
    Understanding and Using APPLY (Part 2) - http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/APPLY/69954/

• It eliminates the need to eat.

Liquid bread, it is!

• GoofyGuy (2/17/2015)

IT these days looks more like a craft brewery where we keep changing the recipe: sometimes it works, and sometimes it's disgusting.

I'm tempted to make a comparison between American brewing and American coding, but shall refrain in the interest of trans-Atlantic comity.

I once had a job interview at a company that self-identified as having a layed back culture. One of the perks was beer Fridays. But for me the rub was that application developers (also drinking beer) created their own tables and SQL :hehe:, and the DBA was there basically to run backups and keep the database and background jobs running. :unsure:

No thanks.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• GoofyGuy (2/17/2015)

It eliminates the need to eat.

Liquid bread, it is!

Which makes we wonder: Maybe Brits do have better beer options in a typical bar, but how does the bar food compare to the burgers, pizza, and chicken wings here in the US ?

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Conrad Muller (2/17/2015)

It is management that says "Just make it work and ship it!". Most developers would extend development to get it right if given the choice..

Unfortunately that's not true. Developers can be the worst of this. I know from bitter experience (as a manager) that some people (some developers) don't care whether the software is secure, or works, or will screw the customer up as long as they can get management to release it so they can put it down on their CV as successfully developed and released on time. There aren't many developers with that attitude, but there are rather a lot more than none. I also know from experience (as a developer) that quite a few managers want it out the door now regardless of problems, but they tend to be less of a problem than the cowboy developers for two reasons: (i) the next step up the tree will usually drop on them like a ton of bricks when the developers pass the information up past them, and (ii) they actually less common than cowboy developers.

Actually until I retired I had an intense hate of non-technical managers who took decisions without taking advice when they were incapable of understanding the issues, and an even more intense haste of technical managers who deliberately took the wrong decision when they knew it was wrong in the hope of collecting brownie points in the short term and escaping the long term fall out. But I hated the developers who didn't give a damn for quality yet more that I hated those managers.

Tom

• ... how does the bar food compare to the burgers, pizza, and chicken wings here in the US ?

An interesting question!

I suppose one might take the easy way out, and say food is a matter of taste (and familiarity).

Another easy out would be for me to admit I adore American 'fun food' like burgers, pizza, and chicken wings. (My doctor, in contrast, is not as impressed.)

But, despite the jokes you may have heard about the (lack of decent) cooking in the UK, traditional British 'pub grub' I find hearty and satisfying fare. I particularly like Cornish pasties with my porters and stouts.

Simply put, sir: I like both 'cuisines' very much!

• GoofyGuy (2/17/2015)

I'm tempted to say that I'd rather suffer their coding than their brewing, but pease note that I haven't actually said it - I've admitted only to temptation, which of course I have resisted - like you, I don't want to disturb crossatlantic comity.

Tom

• ... I know from bitter experience (as a manager) that some people (some developers) don't care whether the software is secure, or works, or will screw the customer up as long as they can get management to release it so they can put it down on their CV as successfully developed and released on time ...

As a software development manager, the buck stops with me.

Yes, there are lazy/pernicious/indifferent developers. They rarely get onto my staff, and if they do, they don't last long.

• ... I've admitted only to temptation, which of course I have resisted - like you, I don't want to disturb crossatlantic comity.

Very good! 😉

+1

• I have had a lot more trouble with developers who excitedly insisted on using the latest dev fad than developers who were uninterested and lazy. It might be that I have never worked in a really large dev team.

• GoofyGuy (2/17/2015)

... I know from bitter experience (as a manager) that some people (some developers) don't care whether the software is secure, or works, or will screw the customer up as long as they can get management to release it so they can put it down on their CV as successfully developed and released on time ...

As a software development manager, the buck stops with me.

Yes, there are lazy/pernicious/indifferent developers. They rarely get onto my staff, and if they do, they don't last long.

I'm used to the buck stopping here. I've made developers very unhappy by refusing to sign stuff off for release - even had a middle level manager at a subcontractor trying to tear me off strip because I'd refused to sign their stuff off for release to a customer for whom its obvious faults would have caused very serious problems (that subcontractor wasn't one of our subcontractors for much longer). That doesn't make the non-management/junior management level people who deliberately try to get crap released to customers any less guilty or any less hateful, and while you can blame (more senior) managers for letting them get away with it (if/when that happens) you usually can't blame those managers for recruiting them in the first place (I've never had a job where I recruited all my subordinates).

Tom

• ... while you can blame (more senior) managers for letting them get away with it (if/when that happens) you usually can't blame those managers for recruiting them in the first place (I've never had a job where I recruited all my subordinates).

Nor have I. But I've had opportunities to fire a few of them.

Sometimes, I recognise, it's not possible for legal or political reasons to let staffers go; but I can certainly make them wish they'd go.

It may take a little longer that way, but the bad apples eventually get the message and roll toward the door.

• Conrad Muller (2/17/2015)

I have had a lot more trouble with developers who excitedly insisted on using the latest dev fad than developers who were uninterested and lazy. It might be that I have never worked in a really large dev team.

I'd rather deal with the excited developer looking to use the latest greatest (hey it might be the Greatest!!) . At least they have passion and are engaged in the game. And it might be that they have actually done the research and have a valid reason why the latest techniques should be used. Perhaps the only thing missing was their getting the buy in from the team, but then IT Guys in general have never really been the best at selling their ideas (otherwise they'd be in sales huh?)

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 75 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply