SQL In-Place Upgrade Issue

• I inherited a SQL 2014 machine and am trying to do an in-place upgrade and when it gets to the feature selection page, it puts a check mark in the Database Engine and then when I click next it says "There are no features selected for upgrade.".  I've tried just about everything (repairing the 2014 install, checking that all patches are up to date, etc.) and don't see anything in the setup error log.  Has anyone run into this and know anything about how to fix it?  The existing 2014 instance is the default instance and is Enterprise...the 2016 installer is also Enterprise.  

Owner & Principal SQL Server Consultant
    Im Your DBA, Inc.
    https://www.imyourdba.com/

• not a CTP installation is it?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Perry Whittle - Monday, January 16, 2017 10:44 AM

not a CTP installation is it?

No, it's an RTM version

Im Your DBA, Inc.

• Are you sure this is SQL 2016 RTM media? Have you used it elsewhere to install?

I haven't tried upgrading a 2014 instance, and don't like in place upgrades. Can you install a SQL 2016 named instance? (you can remove it, just want to see this works).

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Monday, January 16, 2017 4:37 PM

Are you sure this is SQL 2016 RTM media? Have you used it elsewhere to install?

I haven't tried upgrading a 2014 instance, and don't like in place upgrades. Can you install a SQL 2016 named instance? (you can remove it, just want to see this works).

Yes sir, it's worked to do installs on new servers with no issues.  

Our department leader wanted to do it as an in place upgrade...but if we can't figure it out then we will do a wipe and install of 2016 and just recreate everything in the system databases.  Would still be nice to understand what is causing this.  Guess the only other thing to do is open a case with Microsoft.

Im Your DBA, Inc.

• Can you post the results of the following

Select serverproperty('edition'), @@version

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Perry Whittle - Thursday, January 19, 2017 2:26 PM

Can you post the results of the followingSelect serverproperty('edition'), @@version

Sure

Enterprise Edition: Core-based Licensing (64-bit)
    Microsoft SQL Server 2014 (SP2-GDR) (KB3194714) - 12.0.5203.0 (X64) Sep 23 2016 18:13:56 Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation Enterprise Edition: Core-based Licensing (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.2 <X64> (Build 9200: ) (Hypervisor)

Im Your DBA, Inc.

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Has anyone found a resolution for this?
    I tried to upgrade from SQL 2014 SP2 CU6 and it failed because of incorrect registry key for DefaultLog and BackupDirectory. After fixing those to valid paths and rerunning the wizard it shows all items ticked. Once clicking next I get the very same error and it won't let me pass beyond it. I assume the reason being that the shared components were updated successfully on the first run and when validating in the wizard it will think if one of the items is already done it should not do any for you cannot select items off from the list..
    Any ideas how to overcome it without reverse engineering the setup program (i.e. orca or .net reflector etc) and forcing oneself past the barrier?
    I can't find any other references to SQ:2016 and this issue. Id' think that there would be more people having this issue, no?

• I'm not sure what your issue was exactly from the description. I have a 2014 instance and the default data, log, and backup folders are moved to the e: drive. The binaries for SQL are on the c: drive.

I installed CU#6 for SP2 with no issues. AFAIK, pathing hasn't been an issue in CUs/SPs for years.

• GoldenDBA - Sunday, January 15, 2017 1:09 PM

I inherited a SQL 2014 machine and am trying to do an in-place upgrade and when it gets to the feature selection page, it puts a check mark in the Database Engine and then when I click next it says "There are no features selected for upgrade.".  I've tried just about everything (repairing the 2014 install, checking that all patches are up to date, etc.) and don't see anything in the setup error log.  Has anyone run into this and know anything about how to fix it?  The existing 2014 instance is the default instance and is Enterprise...the 2016 installer is also Enterprise.  

Before attempting install try to use the feature in the installer to discover the installed components ... if it was able to discover any components ? and as per the error screen there are validation errors where you can see in the log created. Please paste the install log here. logs can be founod in default location %programfiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\100\Setup Bootstrap\Log

@JayMunnangi

• is it a server + cal edition maybe

• I'm having the same issue. For me it was caused by a missing K: drive which was used for SQL Backups and default path for text search catalogs (unused!).
    From the log it looks like SQL 2016 thinks it's already installed but 'inactive':
    Product              Instance             Instance ID                    Feature                                  Language             Edition              Version         Clustered  Configured
      SQL Server 2014      MSSQLSERVER          MSSQL12.MSSQLSERVER            Database Engine Services                 1033                 Enterprise Edition   12.2.5207.0     No         Yes      
      SQL Server 2014      MSSQLSERVER          MSSQL12.MSSQLSERVER            Full-Text and Semantic Extractions for Search 1033                 Enterprise Edition   12.2.5000.0     No         Yes      
      SQL Server 2014                                                          SSMS                                     1033                 Enterprise Edition   12.2.5207.0     No         Yes      
      SQL Server 2014                                                          Adv_SSMS                                 1033                 Enterprise Edition   12.2.5207.0     No         Yes      
      SQL Server 2014                                                          Client Tools Connectivity                1033                 Enterprise Edition   12.2.5207.0     No         Yes      
      SQL Server 2014                                                          Integration Services                     1033                 Enterprise Edition   12.2.5207.0     No         Yes      
      SQL Server 2016      MSSQLSERVER.INACTIVE MSSQL13.MSSQLSERVER            Database Engine Services                 1033                 Enterprise Edition   13.0.1601.5     No         Yes      
      SQL Server 2016      MSSQLSERVER.INACTIVE MSSQL13.MSSQLSERVER            Full-Text and Semantic Extractions for Search 1033                 Enterprise Edition   13.0.1601.5     No         Yes      
      SQL Server 2016                                                          Client Tools Connectivity                1033                                      13.0.14500.10   No         Yes      
      SQL Server 2016                                                          Integration Services                     1033                 Enterprise Edition   13.0.1601.5     No         Yes     

I've tried uninstalling SQL 2016, and retrying the upgrade, but doesn't help.
    I've tried running repair on SQL 2016, and it doesn't help.
    I've tried running repair on SQL 2014, then retrying the SQL 2016 upgrade, and it gets past the feature page, but then only upgrades SQL Browser.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply