SQL Connection through VPN fails

• I am trying to connect to the SQL Server through a VB application from home. I successfully enter the VPN and can ping the SQL Server. However, my attempts to log into the SQL server or access the data has failed. I get the error following error: Login failed ... not associated with a trusted SQL server connection. Now, my SQL Server has mixed mode security and I am attempting to connect with a valid SQL Security account. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and I would bow to your superior knowledge, because I am at my wits end.

Kindest Regards,

Jamie Schaller, MCP

• 1.  I wonder if your account is being spoofed when connected via VPN.  Try creating a VB app that will pop a message with Environ$("USERNAME") that you run from home to make sure it still thinks it is you.  (Will need to run from the SQL server....)

2.  Try creating Aliases using the Client Network utility.  Use either TCP\IP or Named Pipes.  I have had a similar problem (different error message) that has been resolved by using the aliases

3.  I would make sure that the server is still in Mixed Mode.  The error is looking like the server is in Windows mode only and the SA account (assumption) is not linked to a windows account.

Good Hunting!

AJ Ahrens

webmaster@kritter.net

• I'm having the same problem, but I'm using a workaround.

Open the VPN, use mstsc (remote desktop connection) to logon to a (sql)server and then open sqlEM and work from there on.

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• You have, of course, checked that your connection string has userid and pwd parameters in it, and does not say "IntegratedSecurity=SSPI", right?  If it has that, even if you do specify userid and pwd, they will be ignored.

Mark

• I had a problem with authentication through our VPN - for whatever reason those that be here saw fit to use some 3rd party VPN software, and I noticed it was very kindly loosing any authentication information between my application this side of the vpn and my sql server on the other side (I was using windows authentication - my sql server thought that a user `nothing` was trying to connect!)

The only way I managed to bypass this was to set up a user account within the sql server (that is an SQL account, not a local account on the server) - and connect using a non trusted connection over the vpn. Not ideal, but it did the job.

Many thanks

martin

• Hi,

it's possible that your network admins restricted some tcp/ip ports for your VPN session. (possibly some netbios ports)

What connection-type are you trying? tcp, named pipes, multiprotcol?

Does "telnet yourServer 1433" get a connection?

regards karl

Best regards
    karl

• The VPN was not set to listen to port 1433. Thanks for all of your suggestions. I really appreciate all of your help!

Kindest Regards,

Jamie Schaller, MCP

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply