SQL Book

• Hi Folks,

I am currently preparing for SQL DBA job interview. Can somebody please suggest a good book to study.

I would really appreciate it.

Thank you

• I'll be blunt, if you don't know the area and have an upcoming interview, a book is not going to help much.

Relax

Don't overstate your skills

Don't be afraid to say 'I don't know'

As for a book, a book on what? SQL's a wide field and there are hundreds of books from introductory admin up to deep internals, development, BI as well as tonnes of very specific books.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • jagirdba (11/20/2010)

Hi Folks,

I am currently preparing for SQL DBA job interview. Can somebody please suggest a good book to study.

I would really appreciate it.

Thank you

I am appearing for an interview of neurosurgeon.Can anyone suggest me a book to study?:-D

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am just an another naive wannabe DBA trying to learn SQL Server

• Dear Mr Sachin,

First of all if you are preparing for a neurosurgeon what are you doing in SQL Server central? In that case you appear to have problem with your brain your self. Secondly if I was a neurosurgeon I would surely suggest a good book.

Thanks for wasting your useless time.

• Thanks Gail.

• jagirdba (11/21/2010)

In that case you appear to have problem with your brain your self. Secondly if I was a neurosurgeon I would surely suggest a good book.

That was uncalled for. Insults are unnecessary and are unprofessional. An apology from you would be appropriate at this point.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Out of the 50 some database books that I own and another 50 that I have read, here are the books that I consider essential. I do not work with OLAP, Integration Services, or Reporting Services, so I have not included any books on these topics.

Theory:

Databases, Types and the Relational Model ISBN-13: 978-0321399427 by C. J. Date and Hugh Darwen

Data and Databases: Concepts in Practice ISBN-13: 978-1558604322 by Joe Celko

Database Design

HANDBOOK OF RELATIONAL DATABASE DESIGN ISBN 0-201-11434-8 by C. C. Fleming and Barbara von Halle

The Data Modeling Handbook : A Best-Practice Approach to Building Quality Data Models by Michael Reingruber, and William W. Gregory ISBN: 0471052906;

Data and Databases: Concepts in Practice ISBN-13: 978-1558604322 by Joe Celko

SQL

SQL for Smarties ISBN-13: 978-0123820228 by Joe Celko

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 T-SQL Fundamentals ISBN-13: 978-0735626010 by Itzik Ben-Gan

Inside Microsoft SQL Server 2008: T-SQL Querying ISBN-13: 978-0735626034 by Itzik Ben-Gan, Lubor Kollar , Dejan Sarka , and Steve Kass

Thinking in Sets: Auxiliary, Temporal, and Virtual Tables in SQL ISBN-13: 978-0123741370 by Joe Celko

Trees and Hierarchies in SQL for Smarties ISBN-13: 978-1558609204 by Joe Celko

SQL Server

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Bible ISBN-13: 978-0470257043 by Paul Nielsen, Uttam Parui

Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Internals ISBN-13: 978-0735626249 by Kalen Delaney

SQL Server 2008 Query Performance Tuning Distilled ISBN-13: 978-1430219026 by Grant Fritchey and Sajal Dam

SQL = Scarcely Qualifies as a Language

• GilaMonster (11/21/2010)

jagirdba (11/21/2010)

In that case you appear to have problem with your brain your self. Secondly if I was a neurosurgeon I would surely suggest a good book.

That was uncalled for. Insults are unnecessary and are unprofessional. An apology from you would be appropriate at this point.

Nah... the OP was just returning the favor. 😉

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Hey!

gr8 Books

1.MCTS Self-Paced Training Kit (Exam 70-432): Microsoft SQL Server 2008 - Implementation and Maintenance

3. Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Internals

4. Inside Microsoft SQL Server 2008: T-SQL Querying

5. Inside Microsoft SQL Server 2008: T-SQL Programming

6. Microsoft SQL Server 2008 T-SQL Fundamentals

7. SQL Server MVP Deep Dives

websites

0. Microsoft.com

1. http://www.simple-talk.com/sql/

2. sqlservercentral.com

3. http://mssqltips.com/

4. http://blog.sqlauthority.com/2008/09/03/sqlauthority-author-visit-microsoft-student-partner-conference/

5. othere SQL MVP's website & blogs

you can search video, Wecast, podcast & V-Lab on internet

Ram
    MSSQL DBA

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply