SQL Azure - What next

• Just one more question as I seem to be asking the wrong question on site.  Does the stop button shutdown the VM so it isn't running when I am not on using it?  I really don't want to get charged when I am not actively using the VM.  It isn't like here at work where I am not paying for the resources used.

• Lynn Pettis - Thursday, January 11, 2018 4:58 PM

Just one more question as I seem to be asking the wrong question on site.  Does the stop button shutdown the VM so it isn't running when I am not on using it?  I really don't want to get charged when I am not actively using the VM.  It isn't like here at work where I am not paying for the resources used.

Pretty much. It's a consumption based model. When you have stopped a service, you are no longer consuming resources. When you start the service, you are now paying for consumption of those resources. Typically, platforms will charge you extra for startup even if you don't use the full hour. I believe AWS is like that still. (i.e.: if you create 20 VM's that are about 10 USD a hour per VM, you still pay 200 USD to start up all 20 VM's even if they are only online for 10 minutes.)

• Grant Fritchey - Thursday, January 11, 2018 3:33 PM

RandomStream - Thursday, January 11, 2018 2:02 PM

As a DBA, you are well qualified to advise your daughter to focus on powershell. Unless you are company is moving to Azure, you won't discover much about SQL 2017 Azure SQL database. Everything you are used to see is missing. Everything else is confusing and boring (because lots of dba stuff are being handled behind the scene.) So if you'd like to explore, I suggest VM.

Total argument on this. If it's confusing, then you don't understand it. There's a learning opportunity. It ain't boring because it's taken away the dull stuff (do you really like setting up backup scripts?). It's exciting. You can focus on all the fun stuff like setting up Geo-Replication using Powershell in only two lines of code. I'll bet you can't do that on your personal machines back in the office. Azure SQL Database (and all the Platform as a Service offerings, MySQL, PostgreSQL, CosmosDB, etc.) are where are learning has to come from in the future. That's where lots of companies are going to move to with some of their load. It ain't boring.

Yep to that one. It's the way a lot are moving and it's making things more modular similar to leasing a car versus buying it outright. Every X years, you can upgrade to the latest in greatest for the same price without having to reinvest in more licenses and major tech pivots.

That being said, adding yet another VM to the stack you have to manage is also a pain. This is why services like Azure Functions and stuff like AWS Lambda are shining the most. Running code without provisioning or managing VM's on the fly. Add that with cloud DB's and you can worry less about provisioning and managing the DB. Just focus on creating whatever, deploy and go!

• Sorry.  Posted on wrong thread.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden - Thursday, January 11, 2018 9:44 PM

Sorry.  Posted on wrong thread.

Was it that bad?

• xsevensinzx - Thursday, January 11, 2018 7:21 PM

Lynn Pettis - Thursday, January 11, 2018 4:58 PM

Just one more question as I seem to be asking the wrong question on site.  Does the stop button shutdown the VM so it isn't running when I am not on using it?  I really don't want to get charged when I am not actively using the VM.  It isn't like here at work where I am not paying for the resources used.

Pretty much. It's a consumption based model. When you have stopped a service, you are no longer consuming resources. When you start the service, you are now paying for consumption of those resources.

You're still paying for storage for the VM's drives when the VM is stopped, but storage is generally very cheap.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster - Thursday, January 11, 2018 10:27 PM

xsevensinzx - Thursday, January 11, 2018 7:21 PM

Lynn Pettis - Thursday, January 11, 2018 4:58 PM

Pretty much. It's a consumption based model. When you have stopped a service, you are no longer consuming resources. When you start the service, you are now paying for consumption of those resources.

You're still paying for storage for the VM's drives when the VM is stopped, but storage is generally very cheap.

Yepyep, this is true. Though, all the bells and whistles you setup with your data increase the price per month (i.e.: geo replication, etc) then of course other services like Data Warehouse is about 130 USD per TB.

• Lynn Pettis - Thursday, January 11, 2018 4:58 PM

It used to be that you had to stop the VM and deallocate it (although that might have been a quirk of scripting everything rather than using the GUI).  Not sure if that's the same problem now - I'm a bit more isolated from the basic running of VMs at the moment.

And now I realise that this hasn't been a particularly helpful response.  Sorry.

Thomas Rushton
    blog: https://thelonedba.wordpress.com

• Hey Grant,
    If you haven't done that blog post about setting up SQL Server in an Azure VM, I would like to add a few notes on this.
    I have found there are a few limitations with the template that installs SQL Server.  eg - there is no choice of SQL Server features you want installed, it installs everything!  Okay for Dev, but for production it is a potential security risk as running feature(s) that aren't needed which increases SQL surface attack area.

Also for some reason the SQL collation that is installed is SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS, when mostly we use the default of Latin1_General_CI_AS.
    Last week I had to alter the collation to three production SQL instances (thankfully not in use as yet, so not that much of a hassle) but if it hadn't been spotted and the went into full production then that is a ball ache to change. :crazy:

I have submitted these concerns in the "Submit An Idea" from my Azure portal account.

Cheers
    qh

[font="Tahoma"]Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes. – Carl Jung.[/font]

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply