SQL 2005 Trigger Help Needed

• I am getting the following error and hoping I can get some assitance on this.

Msg 311, Level 16, State 1, Procedure cusPopulateGECounty, Line 7

Cannot use text, ntext, or image columns in the 'inserted' and 'deleted' tables.

The mDataValue field comes off my cuscustomcontrolpatientdata table and is a text object.

Code Below.

SET ANSI_NULLS ON

GO

SET QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON

GO

CREATE TRIGGER cusPopulateGECounty ON dbo.cuscustomcontrolpatientdata

FOR INSERT , UPDATE

AS

BEGIN

SET NOCOUNT ON ;

UPDATE

pp

SET

pp.county = CAST(c.mDataValue as VARCHAR(8000))

FROM

inserted c

JOIN cuscustomcontroldetail d ON c.customcontroldetailid = d.customcontroldetailid

JOIN patientprofile pp ON c.patientprofileid = pp.patientprofileid

END

GO

• Hello,

I'm afraid there isn't much we can help with. The column you reference is TEXT datatype, which is not allowed. Trying to convert the value doesn't help, it just isn't accessible in the inserted and deleted tables.

If you can, change the datatype of this column from TEXT to VARCHAR(max) - however, you have to be careful, since there could be some code relying on this column as TEXT. If you can't change datatypes, you will not be able to reference that column in a trigger and have to find some other way to solve your problem.

• yaah...! thts right if you have a text or a image datatype column in the table and you try to trigger any action from trigger then you get that error

• If you are really need to implement this logic in a trigger, use INSTEAD OF one. With appropriate compatibility level (80 or higher) - it should work.

How to post your question to get the best and quick help[/url]

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply