SQL 2005 Install - OS Partition a requirement?

• Hello,

Try as I might, via template.ini or whatever, I can not get the SQL 2005 install to put the bulk of its files on anything other than the C or OS partition.  Even choosing a second drive as the location for All of the installed options, the installer still requires 1.5 GB on the OS partition. 

Is this a hard requirement?  No workaround?  It certainly is not specified under the system requirements that the OS partition must have the free space...

Sincerely,

Dan B.

• Oops... it is in the readme.  sigh.

2.5.26 SQL Server 2005 Setup Requires 1.6 GB of Disk Space on the System Drive

During installation of SQL Server 2005, Windows Installer creates temporary files on the system drive. Before you run Setup to install or upgrade to SQL Server 2005, verify that you have 1.6 GB of available disk space on the system drive for these files. This requirement applies even if you install SQL Server components to a non-default drive.

• do you set up your OS partition with little space and install everything somewhere else?

• It is an older server, originally windows 2000, since upgraded to 2003.  When this one was provisioned 4 GB was our standard OS partition size, and everything else was installed on other partitions.  Since then we have upped the size of our system partitions, but there are still a lot of older machines in production.

I'm all for large system partitions, but it is pretty crazy that Microsoft didn't think to include an option to move this 1.6 GB to a drive of the user's choosing.  Of course, there may be a legit reason it needs to be on the OS partition, but I doubt it.

-Dan B

• I have had the same issue, old machines ( and my SAN machines only have a small C drive )

Also, not only does the SQL Server install the code on the C Drive, but it installs your Master, MSDB and Temp DBs on the C drive as well.   At least you can migrate these off to alternate locations later.... 

So much for flexibility.....It is a feature of 2005.

Eric

• Our standard for all applications is to install them to a E: drive, leaving C: for the OS.  We found that the initial install of SQL 2005 used about the advertised space on C: - a few hundred MB.  We were upset that the Visual Studio installation went on to C: instead of E:, but accepted we could do nothing to change this. 

Then we added SP1, which dumped about 0.8 GB into C:\Windows, followed by the Hotfix Rollup which dumped a further 0.8 GB into C:\Windows.  The result was that to get an up-to-date installation of SQL 2005 we need about 2.1 GB free on C: before we start.  No doubt SP2, etc, will chew up more space on C:.

Microsoft should really get their documentation fixed about this.  Our initial planning for the SQL2005 rollout was that we had enough space on C: on just about all our servers.  Now that we have done some trial installs we now have to plan on increasing C: drive size everywhere before we can proceed.  The disk cost of going from a standard C: drive size of 5GB to 10GB is not significant - it is the time needed by the Infrastructure team and the disruption to planned work that causes the most hassle.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• Yeah, I got about the same usage as well, a few hundred MB, AFTER the install was complete.  I left off the BI Studio to ensure I was well under the limit during...

Ah, well... live and learn.

-Dan

• Actually, you can place the system databases on another drive during the installation--ours are currently located on D.  There is an option during the installation to change the location of the data files (I don't remember where at the moment), but you have to look for it.  The first time I installed SQL 2005 I accepted all of the defaults and the system db's ended up on C.  The next time I went through each screen slowly and checked all options and found it.  Hope this helps.

• Thanks Linda.  That option is located under the Components to Install dialog - click the button marked "Advanced".  Expand Database Services, select Data Files and click Browse to change the installation path.  Unfortunately, however, there is not an option to change the location of the temporary install files.

- Dan B.

• You just gotta love those "improvements" to the product !!!

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply