SQL 2005 Ad-hoc reporting

• Hi guys,

I'm looking for a robust ad-hoc reporting tool that can enable end-users to query the relational database with an user friendly interface.

Our clients are requesting various ad-hoc reports. We do not want to build them as static reports as they are very straight forward and the data can be obtained querying one or two tables in the database. So we would like to provide an interface where users can drag and drop the field names, set the filter conditions, if needed should be able to add formulae fields and then execute the query.

I know we can build this stuff on our own, but we are on a tight time-line project and cannot afford to spend time on this. So am wondering if there are any tools that can already do this.

Would appreciate if you guys can give me your valuable suggestions at the earliest.

Cheers,

Hari

Kindest Regards,

Hari

• Excel... with pass through queries to views in the database.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Oh, yea... almost forgot. If you're going to allow end users to build their own queries through and ad hoc reporting tool, even if it's something as sophisticated as Reporting Services, prepare to get lots and lots of complaints on how "slow" the server is especially when some user decides they want to see what the last 5 years looks like.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply