SQL 2005 & 2000 instances on same box & SP''s

• Not so much a question but thought I would make a small post to those out there like me who are having or had a bit of difficulty in locating info about running instances of 2005 and 2000 on the same box and applying Service Packs.

I put 2005 in a few weeks ago as the default instance and then put 2000 in as a named instance.  I had put 2005 SP2 on before installing the 2000 + SP4 but took '05 up to build 9.00.3159 after 2000 went on.  All works fine.

This morning I took the 2000 build up to 8.00.2187 and nothing has broken and everything is looking good.

Yeah - yeah... simple stuff for those that have been there already but there are still people like me in little shops that have just come in the door and are in the process of tidying things up

A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

• Hello,

I would like to do the same.

I have a box that runs SQL Server 2005 SP2 already. Now I would like to place a SQL Server 2000 installation next to SQL Server 2005 on the very same Windows 2003 Server machine.

Did you have to do anything special to achieve this in your environment? Or was it a plain and smooth installation?

Thanks for you help in advance.

Regards,

slowjoe

• It was all straight forward.

The sp4 & the other group of patches to take it up to b2187 only look for 2000 - it doesn't appear to even recognise that there is a 2005 instance there other than it knowing that the default instance is being used.

Only thing I made sure of was to install executables in different directories so that one doesn't overwrite any files from the other installation.  Both go to (?) [...\Microsoft SQL Server] so I made mine [SQL_2000] & [SQL_2005].

Just keep things separate and all will be fine

• There is no need to worry about using differeny directories. By default, the common files for SQL 2000 are in "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80" and the common files for SQL 2005 are in "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90".

Each instance of SQL 2005 ends up in a folder that looks like

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1

The suffix ".1" may be different depending on the order that the SQL 2005 installation is done - SQL 2000 does not have this extension so there will never be a clash.

• Oh yeah - I forgot about that.

Still, I prefer to not leave it to chance and define the directories explicitly as there are software packages out there that do not have programmers of the same calibre thinking about what they're doing when creating the installation programs.

Old habits.....

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply