SQL 2000 Cluster issue

• I am having some issues with some new nodes that I am hoping someone can shed some light on.

I have two node sql 2000 cluster that I have added two new nodes two.

They all have Server 2003.(total of 4 )

The two original nodes(S1 and S2 ) work great.

The two new servers node(S3 and S4) were added a short time ago.

4 Sql instances(inst1, inst2, inst3 and inst4) were running on S1 and S2.

4 Sql instanes (inst1, inst2, inst3 and inst4) were installed new and service packs applied on S3 and S4. (we are using service pack 3 )

Inst1 and inst2 work great across all 4 nodes.

When I went to move inst3 to S3 and S4 I found that the instance was starting up

but cluster services would not get past "pending" status.What I noticed was that inst3 was using the default port 1433 on S3 and S4. It would eventually fail and fail back to S1.

I was getting a checkodbc connection error

sqlstate=08001

native error=11

Strangely it seems the wrong port was being used.

After I found the supersocketlib\via registry entry was set at 1433 instead of our assigned 1441

I changed it manually.

Still received same problem when moving Inst3 group.

So I rebooted S3 and S4.

After reboot and group move I got past the "pending" status to "online" status.

Now the problem is It seems I cannot remotely connect to the Inst3 instance when it is on S3 or S4.

When i try to use SERVER NETWORK UTILTY and view S3 properties I get the following message.

"Inst3\Inst3 is a cluster resource. we are not able to connect to the cluster server at the moment. No Valid Data could retrieved and shown"

It seems strange that 2 other instances are fine on these new servers.

Does anyone have any ideas, suggestions?

Thank you!

Mark

• Update: I did some more investigation and found that the registry keys are quite different between the working nodes and non working nodes.

The key I am looking at is:

HKey_local_machine\software\microsoft\microsoft sql server\\mssqlserver

for the working instances(inst1 and inst2) the keys are the same accross all four nodes.

for inst3 the nodes that are not working (S3 and S4) have different reg entries.

Some keys are missing and paths are using UNC instead of drive letters.

Some keys are different too.

I noticed this is true of inst4 also which I have not tried to move yet but suspect it will fail also.

So first I am wondering how this happened as i installed inst3 and inst4 on S3 and S4 as four separate installs. now the question is can I export the reg keys from the working servers and apply them to S3 and S4 or should I reinstall these instances and see what happens. If I try to apply keys i am afraid I will mess up a chance at a clean uninstall later.

What do the experts think?

Thanks

Mark

• I have resolved this issue.

Thank you.

• What was the resolution to your situation ?

Please advise so all can learn from your experience ...

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• Hours of research and posts yielded nothing.

No responses even to my threads even from MSDN.

The solution:

It seemed the problem was that the install didn't finish the registry entries for the virtual instance on the new nodes.

Funny that 2 other instances worked great and had proper reg entries.

One of the install steps must be to copy registry from one of the existing nodes for the instance.

So I exported the registry key from a working server and applied it to new nodes.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\****INSTANCENAME***]

Rebooted.

Ofcourse I checked keys across working servers to make sure they were duplicates.

This did the trick.

Thanks

• Thanks for sharing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [highlight]Recommended Articles on How to help us help you and[/highlight]
    [highlight]solve commonly asked questions[/highlight]

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help by Jeff Moden[/url]
    Managing Transaction Logs by Gail Shaw[/url]
    How to post Performance problems by Gail Shaw[/url]
    Help, my database is corrupt. Now what? by Gail Shaw[/url]

• Thank you as well !

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply