SQL 2000 and Setting up SQL Mail

• Sacrificial Summer Intern. Appease the admin's wrath. 😉

But seriously, ok, we've ascertained xp_sendmail doesn't work like it should. However, an e-mail notification from SQL Agent does. When you say backup reporting, what do you mean by that? I'm a little confused because the excerpt you gave us was a job scheduler reporting on a backup job.

K. Brian Kelley

bkelley@agfirst.com

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• The job scheduler does work and send mail. xp_sendmail doesn't and you can set the option for a backup job to send you a report:

The attached report is a summary of the automated maintenance carried out for plan Sunday 15 July 2001:

and it attaches the plan.

• Ok, you're speaking with respect to the maintenance plan. I believe that works through xp_sendmail, too, since it's coming from SQLMAINT.EXE. Steve asked this once before. Are the service accounts for MSSQLServer and SQLServerAgent one and the same?

K. Brian Kelley

bkelley@agfirst.com

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• yep the same. The account is also a local admin and domain admin.

• Are SQL Mail and SQL Agent Mail sharing the same profile, or are they using different (named) profiles?

Chris Hedgate @ Apptus Technologies (http://www.apptus.se)

• sqlserver and sqlserveragent are using the same domain account. One server started sending mail last night after a scheduled reboot. But the others arn't. They are all setup the same so, it would stand to reason that if one worked then they would all work. I can't test this theory yet due to my test box being down. I'll give it a go later this afternoon.

Wes

• Well.... There have been a couple of developments today. One, Our exchange servers blew up. During the maint window last night the ip's of all the servers changed and we couldn't see the global account list from any client. After several hours and a phone call to M$ we were informed this is a known bug with exch2000 they gave us a reg fix for the CLIENT side untill they figure out a patch for it. There are only 7 other companies that have reported this error they don't know if it is a pre sp1 or post sp1 problem. After we applied the fix I started getting mail from some of my servers. hurm...... I'll keep you guys posted on the total list and the fixes we had to do to get sql to send mail via exchnage.

• Very interesting, indeed. Please keep us informed. I for one would really be interested because my company will eventually be going to Exchange 2000 and it'd be good to know these things vicariously if possible.

K. Brian Kelley

bkelley@agfirst.com

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• Oh no problem. I'm all about sharing info. We mirrored the port our exchange server is on taking a complete log of all traffic to send to MS for further analysis hopefully they will have a better answer for us. We did apply the reg fix to all my SQL boxes but it didn't fix all of them. We will be working more in test to duplicate the error and the fix(if any). I'll do a full write up and send it to the forums.

Wes

• Can you set up an Operator and send a test?

Can you set an alert and then fire it off to get an email?

Reaching here...

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• actually, all but two of my servers are now sending mail. Microsoft has confermed a known bug with no solution. Apearatly, when sql tries to resolve a MAPI name it can't always do it. MS is terminaled into our exchnage servers now and are looking at the netmon dumps as we speak. Scheduled jobs send mail. SQL backup notifications don't get sent out. XP_Sendmail doesn't work. Is the symptoms.

Wes

• Gotta love those obscure bugs. Sorry for the post, I didn't read the second page.

Anyway, at least MS support is pretty good.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• I have seen that. I think that it was related to not having the profiles set correctly.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• this does sound like the problem I currently have as well. We rolled the latest hot-fix for windows 2000 onto the server and I could send sql mail but no one could get to thier GAL we rolled it back off and now my servers don't send mail but everyone else is good. MS told us there was a bug with exch2000 but didn't give the final fix yet. Oh this relates to you because sql can't look up a standard name you will have to give it your_name@your_company.com smtp style address, make sure you are using outlook 2k as well.

good luck,

Wes

• We should probably break this to a new thread, but did you log into W2K as the SQL account, start Outlook and send mail?

If so, right click outlook and view the profiles. Then be sure the profile you are using is the one setup in SQL.

Also ,set the profile to always start.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply