ab.cd.ef.gh

Target should be:

Col1 Col2 Col3 Col4

ab cd ef gh

Thanks in Advance

[font="Comic Sans MS"]
    ---------------------------------------------------

Thanks [/font]

• if there are exactly 3 decimals/4 parts in your string, you can use the built in function PARSENAME.

otherwise, it's the same idea, just more involved by using CHARINDEX and SUBSTRING

declare @longcolumn varchar(max)

SET @longcolumn = 'ab.cd.ef.gh'

select

PARSENAME(@longcolumn,4) As col1,

PARSENAME(@longcolumn,3) As col2,

PARSENAME(@longcolumn,2) As col3,

PARSENAME(@longcolumn,1) As col4

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Lowell,

Nice!!! I've never seen this in use before but it looks like it could work nice with IP addresses and subnet masking. Where did you ever learn this man? I looked at BOL's info on PARSENAME and would have never thought to use it in this way. I guess it only works for strings that have up to 4 .'s. I love learning new tricks!

-Impressed!

• it's actually usually used for parsing up a Server.Database.Schema.Tablename object, but like you identified, works perfect for IP addresses as well; anything that is getting chopped up by periods; I've used it for fileversion stuff as well: you know. version 9.0.101.0 major /minor/etc

I think it was Jeff Moden who showed me some of the alternate uses a couple of years ago right here on SSC; just one more tool in the toolbox!

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

• Thanks for the kudo, Lowell.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Thanks Lowell...

It works perfectly f9....

Thk uuu again:-):-)

[font="Comic Sans MS"]
    ---------------------------------------------------

Thanks [/font]

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply