Specing out a new SQL2k server...need help

• We are currently running these specs...

CPU: Dual 2.4Ghz Xeons

RAM: 4GB

HD: Raid 5

Our RAM is constantly at 75% of the physical memory.  The CPU usage ranges from 10-90%.  I need recommendations on brand and specs.  I would like to keep the cost under $10k.

It needs to have RAID 1 for the OS and at least 200GB RAID 5 for the data.  We would also like to have hot swappable drives.

• I believe the Dell 29xx series will work for that and you can get multiple RAID channels with it as well. You may wish to look at some opteron based servers as well from HP though as they have been solid performers for me over the years.

Either company should be able to get you the server you want for somewhere between 5,000 and 8,000 USD.

• Need a little more information.  What version of Sql are you planning to load on this.  Sql2005 has a ram limit of os max.  Which is 4gig per process on 2003.  64bit os and sql gets you more I think.  I would and have gone with the Dell 2950 with 8gig 667ram.  6 146 gig drives, 2 mirrored for os and 4 raid 10 for data.  Raid 10 is about 5 times faster on writes than raid 5 in the test that I did with the server.  This is a screamer of a machine, and now comes with the quad core xeon processors.  It's 1.3gig fsb is fast, and thoughput has not been a problem with my implementation.  If you need to save a little money and your going to run sql2000 then I would spec it with 4 gig ram(1 gig dimms) and upgrade later if needed.  This machine with the quad processors specints at 200.

Tom

• We will be running SQL2000 and I would like to run Win2003 64bit.  I would like to run 8GB, but doesn't that require the Enterprise edition of Windows?

• From Microsoft website for x64 standard:

"Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard x64 Edition, supports up to 32 GB of RAM on 1- to 4-way servers"

Your limitation will be what sql2000 can handle.

Tom

• I have not researched this possibility yet, but what about upgrading to SQL2005 64bit?  What advantages or disadvantages would there be?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply