SP_LOCK ON sql

• I have 2000 sp_locks processes and they are waiting on TransName = sqlsource_transform, METADA Res Type

Also the ReqMode is Sch-S and ObjectName is null.

I am not seeing what this is any ideas?

• It's difficult to tell offhand what is happening on your system.  If you are having a lot of blocking happening, here's a query to help find the lead blocker(s) of transactions on your instance:

--ultimate blocking session
    SELECT s.session_id, s.host_name, s.program_name, s.client_interface_name, s.login_name, s.status AS session_status, db_name(s.database_id) AS database_name, s.last_request_start_time, s.last_request_end_time, s.open_transaction_count
    FROM sys.dm_exec_sessions s
    INNER JOIN sys.dm_exec_requests br ON s.session_id = br.blocking_session_id
    LEFT OUTER JOIN sys.dm_exec_requests er ON s.session_id = er.session_id
    WHERE er.blocking_session_id IS NULL OR er.blocking_session_id = er.session_id
  • There is no blocking just sp lock has over 2000 entries and so who2 show suspended

• Can you tell what the session is waiting on?  suspended just means it's waiting, likely page I/O

SELECT s.session_id, s.host_name, s.program_name, s.client_interface_name, s.login_name, s.status AS session_status,
    db_name(er.database_id) AS database_name, er.status AS request_status, er.command, er.percent_complete,
    er.wait_type, er.wait_time / 1000.0 AS wait_sec, er.last_wait_type, er.wait_resource,
    s.memory_usage / 128.0 AS memory_meg, mg.used_memory_kb, mg.granted_memory_kb, mg.requested_memory_kb, mg.ideal_memory_kb,
    er.blocking_session_id, bs.host_name AS blocking_host, bs.program_name AS blocking_program, bs.login_name AS blocking_login,
    er.transaction_id, er.open_transaction_count,
    er.cpu_time / 1000.0 AS cpu_sec, er.total_elapsed_time / 1000.0 AS total_elapsed_sec, er.start_time, er.reads, er.writes, er.logical_reads,
    CASE er.transaction_isolation_level WHEN 1 THEN 'ReadUncomitted' WHEN 2 THEN 'ReadCommitted' WHEN 3 THEN 'Repeatable' WHEN 4 THEN 'Serializable' WHEN 5 THEN 'Snapshot' ELSE 'Unspecified' END AS isol_level,
    OBJECT_NAME(st.objectid, st.dbid) AS object_name, qp.query_plan, er.sql_handle, er.plan_handle, st.[text]
    FROM sys.dm_exec_requests er
    INNER JOIN sys.dm_exec_sessions s ON er.session_id = s.session_id
    LEFT OUTER JOIN sys.dm_exec_query_memory_grants mg ON er.session_id = mg.session_id AND er.request_id = mg.request_id
    LEFT OUTER JOIN sys.dm_exec_sessions bs ON er.blocking_session_id = bs.session_id
    OUTER APPLY sys.dm_exec_sql_text(er.sql_handle) st
    OUTER APPLY sys.dm_exec_query_plan(er.plan_handle) qp
    WHERE s.is_user_process = 1
    AND s.session_id <> @@SPID;

• It completed.  I will again tomorrow

• It may help to look at the execution plan.  In the query I posted in the far right there is a column query_plan that would have a hyperlink to look at the plan.

If you know the query or stored procedure that was running, then you might still be able to find the plan in the cache.  Here's a query to show the worst read queries, again there is a query_plan column with a hyperlink you can click to see the execution plan.

/* run this in the database you want to analyze reads */
    SELECT TOP 25
    qs.total_elapsed_time / qs.execution_count / 1000000.0 AS average_seconds,
    qs.total_elapsed_time / 1000000.0 AS total_seconds,
    qs.total_worker_time / qs.execution_count / 1000000.0 AS avg_cpu_seconds,
    qs.total_worker_time / 1000000.0 AS total_cpu_seconds,
    qs.total_logical_reads, qs.total_logical_writes,
    qs.total_logical_reads / qs.execution_count AS average_logical_reads,
    qs.total_logical_writes / qs.execution_count AS average_logical_writes,
    qs.execution_count, qs.last_execution_time, qs.creation_time,
    OBJECT_SCHEMA_NAME(qt.objectid, qt.dbid) AS schema_name, OBJECT_NAME(qt.objectid, qt.dbid) AS object_name, o.modify_date,
    qp.query_plan, qs.sql_handle, qs.plan_handle,
    DB_NAME(qt.dbid) AS database_name--, qt.text
    FROM sys.dm_exec_query_stats qs
    CROSS APPLY sys.dm_exec_sql_text(qs.sql_handle) as qt
    LEFT OUTER JOIN sys.objects o ON qt.objectid = o.object_id
    OUTER APPLY sys.dm_exec_query_plan(qs.plan_handle) as qp
    WHERE qt.dbid = DB_ID()
    ORDER BY average_logical_reads DESC;
  • Thanks, I was able to run the two above during the busy times, and I could see all the suspending threads, and then what it was waiting for as I got the wait_type and the page_id, data_file_id, page_number from this and then did a DBCC Page on command

to get the database, and Table etc.

That is a better way to figure out what is going on at a glance, as you see all the processes, and what they are waiting for.

There was a lot running processes 20+ with status of runnable and then 300 with suspended.

How can you tell that your max out and this is why they are being suspended, I know it maybe that your waiting on a table that is being updated as this is in sp_lock

Also, I am going to write this into a table every 5 minutes during the hours of 2 am and 5 am.  Then I can view it in the morning at 8

Is that something you do ?

• I was able to find the issue and moved a sp into another window and the time to run when from 3 hours to 4 minutes.

Amazing

Thanks

• I've typically only used these queries when there is a problem happening at the moment instead of constantly.  I have other software doing general performance monitoring that I look at to determine that there is a problem right now.

To answer your question about knowing what items are being waited on because of locks, this might be helpful:

SELECT tl.request_session_id, tl.resource_type, tl.request_mode, h1.TEXT AS request_text,
    wt.blocking_session_id, OBJECT_NAME(p.OBJECT_ID) blocked_object_name, h2.TEXT AS blocking_text
    FROM sys.dm_tran_locks AS tl
    INNER JOIN sys.dm_os_waiting_tasks AS wt ON tl.lock_owner_address = wt.resource_address
    INNER JOIN sys.partitions AS p ON p.hobt_id = tl.resource_associated_entity_id
    INNER JOIN sys.dm_exec_connections ec1 ON ec1.session_id = tl.request_session_id
    INNER JOIN sys.dm_exec_connections ec2 ON ec2.session_id = wt.blocking_session_id
    OUTER APPLY sys.dm_exec_sql_text(ec1.most_recent_sql_handle) AS h1
    OUTER APPLY sys.dm_exec_sql_text(ec2.most_recent_sql_handle) AS h2
  • Thank you

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply