sp3/sp3a

• is there amajor difference between SP3 and SP3 a?

I have sp3 installed;should I consider installing sp3a?

Thanks

LMT

• Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Service Pack 3a (SP3a) incorporates changes to SQL Server 2000 SP3 that address issues raised by the Slammer worm:

SP3a can be applied to SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Evaluation Edition in order to apply fixes to instances of that edition of SQL Server.

SP3a addresses setup issues some customers encountered with the version of the Microsoft Data Access (MDAC) components in SQL Server 2000 SP3.

The MSDE 2000 SP3a Setup utility now defaults to turning off support for network connections when installing new instances of MSDE 2000. The current network support settings are retained when instances are upgraded to SP3a.

When an instance of SQL Server 2000 SP3a or MSDE 2000 SP3a is configured to not support network connections, the instance also stops using UDP port 1434.

Because most changes introduced in SP3a are related to Setup, you do not need to apply SP3a to instances of SQL Server 2000 or MSDE 2000 that have already been upgraded to SP3. If you have instances that have not yet been upgraded to SP3, however, you should always upgrade those instances directly to SP3a instead of SP3. If you have any copies of the SP3 download files that you were planning to use for future upgrades, you should delete those copies and instead use either the SP3a download files or the SP3a CD-ROM. Applications that distribute and install MSDE 2000 should install SP3a instead of SP3. While you can apply SP3a to instances of SQL Server 2000 SP3 or MSDE 2000 SP3, doing so has little effect on those instances.

• Thank you Allen

how about the latest Q815495 security patch?

did somebody apply it?

lmt

• I did on some of my servers and in the progress on the rest servers.

• thank you I will too

LMt

• Below is some infor from eNewsletter from http://www.pinnaclepublishing.com you may find helpful also: ----------------------------

5) ANSWER TO THE POP QUIZ: SP3 vs. SP3a

---------------------------------------------------------

Most DBAs just skip the 3a update, because Microsoft says

in several locations on its site that if you've installed

SP3, you don't need to install SP3a (example: "NOTE:

Because most changes introduced in SP3a are related to

Setup, you do not need to apply SP3a to instances of SQL

Server 2000 or MSDE 2000 that have already been upgraded

to SP3"), and because there's no difference in version

number (see below).

SELECT SERVERPROPERTY('productversion'), SERVERPROPERTY

('productlevel'), SERVERPROPERTY ('edition')

RTM 2000.80.194.0

SQL Server 2000 SP1 2000.80.384.0

SQL Server 2000 SP2 2000.80.534.0

SQL Server 2000 SP3 2000.80.760.0

SQL Server 2000 SP3a 2000.80.760.0

However, KB article 306908, which lists the bugs fixed by

SPs, shows that SP3a fixes two bugs that weren't fixed in

SP3, notably:

* 814572 FIX: SQL Server Does Not Start and an Access

Violation Occurs After You Install SQL Server 2000 SP3

* 814410 FIX: Performance Degradation and Memory Leak in

the SQL Server ODBC Driver

According to KB 306908, SP3a also includes this:

* 814130 INF: How to Secure Network Connectivity for SQL

Server 2000 Local Databases

In other words, if any of your apps use ODBC, it behooves

you to consider going the SP3a upgrade route. Sigh.

• The MDACs are different.

sp3 - MDAC 2.7 sp1

sp3a - MDAC 2.7 sp1 refresh

Its not MDAC sp1, sp2, or sp1a - it's "refresh". Perhaps MDAC 2.7 sp1 should be "MDAC 2.7 sp1 woops"? I stick with SQL sp3a and "MDAC 2.71a". I had to extract and look at build numbers to see what was up. I've learned to be very careful with MDAC versions - bad or strange things can happen when the app servers get out of sync.

RandyHelpdesk: Perhaps Im not the only one that does not know what you are doing. 😉

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply