SP2 for SQL 2014....

• Has anyone heard anything about Microsoft releasing SP2 for SQL Server 2014? SP1 was released in May of last year... we are getting close to 1 year since the last SP.

• The number and frequency of SPs for every new version of SQL Server has been dropping over time. I wouldn't wait on SPs any more but would instead rely on the Cumulative Updates as my mechanism for keeping the servers up to date.

And no, I haven't heard anything about a new SP on the horizon.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• I know there is a Cumaltive update planned for MAY. I think it is CU 6.

• Considering the recent track record for SPs and CUs, you might consider waiting for at least a month before you deploy either.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden (3/2/2016)

Considering the recent track record for SPs and CUs, you might consider waiting for at least a month before you deploy either.

Oh yeah, I wouldn't recommend deploying a CU the week it comes out. I'm just saying, don't wait for SPs or your wait could be a VERY long one.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• I saw the release from Microsoft a couple of weeks ago about how CU's have been hardened and you are to treat them like SPs... instead of fixes for specific issues. I was just curious if anyone had heard anything about SP2 is all.

• 8adger (3/2/2016)

I know there is a Cumaltive update planned for MAY. I think it is CU 6.

CUs are usually released on every two months

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2936603

Igor Micev,My blog: www.igormicev.com

• I wonder if Microsoft is going the way of Windows 10 with SS2014. Instead of releasing major updates (Service Packs), just releasing CUs as they come available.

-SQLBill

• SQLBill (3/2/2016)

I wonder if Microsoft is going the way of Windows 10 with SS2014. Instead of releasing major updates (Service Packs), just releasing CUs as they come available.

-SQLBill

Sure seems like it...

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply