Sorting a date column

• hi all,

I have query which diplays require information for my application. Query is given below:

SELECT distinct POProjects.ProjectId,POProjects.PINNo,POProjects.CustName,POProjects.ProjName,

convert(varchar(10),POProjects.ProjectStartDate,103) ProjectStartDate,

convert(varchar(10),POProjects.ProjectEndDate,103) ProjectEndDate,

dbo.get_emp_name(POProjects.ProjHeadAlias) ProjectHead,dbo.Get_All_PM_Names(POProjects.ProjectId) ProjectManager, dbo.get_emp_name(POProjects.GroupheadAlias)GroupHead,POProjects.ProjType,POProjects.EstPersonMonths,POProjects.ProjectStatus,POProjects.PeakTeamSize PeakTeamSize,dbo.Technologylist(POProjects.ProjectId) Technology FROM POProjects,POProjectPMs where POProjects.ProjectId=POProjectPMs.ProjectId

order by POProjects.ProjectStartDate

Problem is that, though i am using order by statement to sort the projectstartdate column, i am not getting the desired results. Start date and endate are declared as datetime datatypes. I am using convert function since i need only the date part in my application. Can any one suggest me regarding this.

Thanks in advance,

sekhar

• Your query looks ok. When you say you're not getting the desired results, what do you mean? Not the required ordering? Not getting the required output formats?

Cheers,
    - Mark

• Thanks mccork,

i am getting results in correct format..i mean date format. But that column is not ordered in asc/desc, according my requirement.

Thanks,

sekhar

Edited by - k_sekhar_rao on 07/10/2003 05:02:03 AM

• I can't see why they would be displayed in dd/mm/yyyy format, order from earliest to latest. Can you post an example of out of sequence dates?

Cheers,
    - Mark

• The problem is it is order by character order because POProjects.ProjectStartDate is a varchar. This happens because the last thing that occurrs is the Order By and because you used the same name it sees the varchar value.

So

1/1/2002

1/2/2003

1/3/2002

2/2/2000

etc

is what you get

To order like you want change

order by POProjects.ProjectStartDate

to

order by cast(POProjects.ProjectStartDate as datetime) asc

basically make sure it is sorting as a date value not a character.

Or use another alias name besides ProjectStartDate and it won't be an issue.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply