Something I learned while unemployed

• Jack 49290 - Tuesday, January 24, 2017 4:14 PM

I don't think I have seen a specific word here that I thought would have popped .... CERTIFICATION ? In my "bench time" I'm considering going for "it" and would appreciate thoughts .... value vs cost, etc.

The value is not in the certificate but in the journey to get it.

Or in a less pseudo Confucius way, the most benefit is in what you learn and not in the piece of paper. Although the certificate may open doors (it doesn't alter in either a positive or negative way when I see one on a CV but others' opinions are likely to vary).

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• Gary Varga - Wednesday, January 25, 2017 1:57 AM

Jack 49290 - Tuesday, January 24, 2017 4:14 PM

I don't think I have seen a specific word here that I thought would have popped .... CERTIFICATION ? In my "bench time" I'm considering going for "it" and would appreciate thoughts .... value vs cost, etc.

The value is not in the certificate but in the journey to get it.

Or in a less pseudo Confucius way, the most benefit is in what you learn and not in the piece of paper. Although the certificate may open doors (it doesn't alter in either a positive or negative way when I see one on a CV but others' opinions are likely to vary).

I find that certificates are useful for anything you've done outside of work that you can't easily demonstrate. I've tried to keep most of my extracurricular training focused on technologies I'll use as part of my normal job, that way I can talk about the subject to demonstrate my knowledge so haven't felt the need to get the appropriate certificates.

If, for example, I was to learn Oracle I would want a certificate to show I'd completed the course as it's not something I'm likely to use in my current role.

• Jack 49290 - Tuesday, January 24, 2017 4:14 PM

I am sure certifications have their usefulness but as it already has been stated, I am not swayed one way or the other by them. I also don't have any and long ago decided not to take the time to get any.  I once worked for an Oracle and Unix 'shop' as the only full time time developer.  There were several contractors on staff, most of which were very good.  However, there was one who was proud of their certifications in Oracle yet I still had to answer so many technical questions from them that should have been known by a 'certified'  professional that it was laughable.  Not saying don't get take the time for certification, but if you are going to do so and you're going to flaunt them; make sure you know your stuff.

• mercurej - Wednesday, January 25, 2017 6:42 AM

Jack 49290 - Tuesday, January 24, 2017 4:14 PM

I am sure certifications have their usefulness but as it already has been stated, I am not swayed one way or the other by them. I also don't have any and long ago decided not to take the time to get any.  I once worked for an Oracle and Unix 'shop' as the only full time time developer.  There were several contractors on staff, most of which were very good.  However, there was one who was proud of their certifications in Oracle yet I still had to answer so many technical questions from them that should have been known by a 'certified'  professional that it was laughable.  Not saying don't get take the time for certification, but if you are going to do so and you're going to flaunt them; make sure you know your stuff.

While I do agree with you that a certification doesn't mean much, based on recent interviews I have sat in, it may be the only way to narrow down a search to people who are at least somewhat competent.  I can point to dozens of candidates who listed SQL, SQL Server, and even Sequel Server (Huh???) on their resumes, but couldn't answer the simplest questions.  "What do you use to query, add or change data?"  Blank stares.  Expert in Excel, OK, what would you use to ..." blank stares.  The issue is that too many people inflate their skills on their resumes, and maybe, just maybe, a certification would show they had at least a base level of intelligence in some tool.

Maybe.

Dave

• laura.bryngelson - Tuesday, January 24, 2017 9:56 AM

Thank you for this post! I feel very stuck in my current position because I've been here for nearly 14 years. All my "knowledge" comes from direct, on-the-job, project-specific learning. I'm terrified to look anywhere else because I'm afraid I won't know enough "out of the gate," even though I've proven time and again that I can learn just about anything as needed. Now I know where to start augmenting my more universal knowledge and give myself a better chance of getting out of this current position!

Thank you for such a gracious reply. And you're welcome.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• Topics like unit testing, DevOps, or ETL are broadly defined and subject to interpretation even today. It's very well possible that you have more actual experience than you think you do, and you simply need to put your past experience into a new perspective so it's fits the latest paradigm. For example, you may here someone say: "I've was doing DevOps twenty years before they called it DevOps.", and essentially what they're saying is true. Of course DevOps is more formalized today, and employers will have specific expectations about how you conform to a defined role and process, so you will need to read a couple of recent books on the topic to fill in the knowledge gaps, but for the most part it will be familiar and not overwhelming to learn.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell - Wednesday, January 25, 2017 8:29 AM

Topics like unit testing, DevOps, or ETL are broadly defined and subject to interpretation even today. It's very well possible that you have more actual experience than you think you do, and you simply need to put your past experience into a new perspective so it's fits the latest paradigm. For example, you may here someone say: "I've was doing DevOps twenty years before they called it DevOps.", and essentially what they're saying is true. Of course DevOps is more formalized today, and employers will have specific expectations about how you conform to a defined role and process, so you will need to read a couple of recent books on the topic to fill in the knowledge gaps, but for the most part it will be familiar and not overwhelming to learn.

Indeed! When I was looking for a job just over a year ago it seemed every single company wanted a laundry list of things I'd never heard of. On closer look it was mostly stuff I knew already with a fancy acronym slapped over it 🙂

• As for certifications, yes it is helpful when it comes to landing a job. We may argue the merits of whether a certification makes a competent DBA / Developer even better, but the fact is that employers and recruiters like seeing it listed on a resume. It's sort of like putting the "Gluten Free" label on a bag of carrots; yes it's simply stating the obvious, but for some consumers (employers) it's reassuring when trying to evaluate a large number of possible options (candidates), and there is nothing wrong with a little self-promotion on the part of the seller (you the job seeker), even pointless self-promotion, so long as you're honest and not misleading anyone.Also, studying for a certification is a good way for an experienced professional to fill in knowledge gaps. For example, in my previous job we didn't use Always On Availability Groups, and I would not have had any working knowledge of it for use on my current job had I not been exposed to it (reluctantly) while studying for the 70-462 exam. So, in retrospect I'm glad I had to learn it.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Nicely written article Rod.  It's definitely to anyone's advantage to work at developing new skills at any time: even when unemployed.  Your suggestions for where to look will take some of the guess work out.

• Af300wsm - Wednesday, January 25, 2017 10:04 AM

Nicely written article Rod.  It's definitely to anyone's advantage to work at developing new skills at any time: even when unemployed.  Your suggestions for where to look will take some of the guess work out.

Totally agree except I would replace "even when unemployed" with "especially when unemployed".

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• It's so easy to become rusty even when in employment.

When I was a department manager I tried to get my staff training or at least the facilities to train themselves.  I wrote down how I approached it https://www.simple-talk.com/opinion/opinion-pieces/the-it-managers-perspective-people-as-an-asset/

In the end I managed to dovetail what I was trying to do with the needs of a strategic transformation programme.  If I hadn't pushed hard and kept on pushing it wouldn't have been included.

I asked my development team to pick the first tranche of people to gain access to the online training.  The guidance I gave was to pick people who would be evangelical about it.  If I pay for training and my team take it and don't feed back how can I justify the renewal fee in next years budget?

I need people who will take on training, be vocal about the benefits, attribute achievements on revenue (and hopefully profit) generating projects.  As long as I have a strong case to argue for training I will fight for my team.  I'm not going to call in hard-won favours for people who are supine.  Socks on, lights off, lie back and think of England!

• I have always found it slightly difficult to keep up to speed with new developments because of the pressure of work and limited facilities to practice a new skill - the best way of learning.

On one occasion I spent nearly £1000 on a course with a certificate at the end of it (you had to pass the course work and an exam). I had hoped this would help in my job but it never came in the radar. In the interview for my next job the directors seemed impressed with my new skill. However once I started this area of work remained with the individual who was doing it already who was a "knowledge is power" individual. When I was out of work I enrolled for a web based course with a partner of one of the job agencies I was registered with. The course never ran through to the end so ended up being a waste of time and money (nearly £400). Of course the job agency washed their hands of any responsibility.

Being well past 50 bar the odd book I doubt I would pay for any course now bar one related to hobbies/interests outside of work!

• David.Poole - Thursday, January 26, 2017 12:26 PM

It's so easy to become rusty even when in employment.

When I was a department manager I tried to get my staff training or at least the facilities to train themselves.  I wrote down how I approached it https://www.simple-talk.com/opinion/opinion-pieces/the-it-managers-perspective-people-as-an-asset/

In the end I managed to dovetail what I was trying to do with the needs of a strategic transformation programme.  If I hadn't pushed hard and kept on pushing it wouldn't have been included.

I asked my development team to pick the first tranche of people to gain access to the online training.  The guidance I gave was to pick people who would be evangelical about it.  If I pay for training and my team take it and don't feed back how can I justify the renewal fee in next years budget?

I need people who will take on training, be vocal about the benefits, attribute achievements on revenue (and hopefully profit) generating projects.  As long as I have a strong case to argue for training I will fight for my team.  I'm not going to call in hard-won favours for people who are supine.  Socks on, lights off, lie back and think of England!

Awesome, David! It's great to see managers such as yourself, you value their people with training, conferences, etc. I'm sure it all depends upon your budget, but its great to you see them as assets to be invested in.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• My periods of unemployment have been brief and far between, but what it has taught me is the following:

- If you're not interviewing, eating, or sleeping, then you should be studying.
    - When needed, I can technically live off of significantly less money than what I regularly earn.
    - Employers interpret nervousness, desperation, and dishonesty as inexperience. When asked a question, simply answer to the best of your knowledge and without hesitation. Even if your answer is incomplete or technically wrong, you will still score points on the basis of confidence.
    - Recruiters work for whomever is paying their commission. Respect what they do; but just keep that in mind.
    - Use an Excel sheet or something to keep track of your prospects, status of leads, and notes. After every interview or phone call, ask yourself what you learned.
    - Don't get discouraged by a lack of leads, and don't allow yourself to be lulled into a false sense of security because you happen to have what looks like a good lead. Wake up every morning and keep at it until the first day of your new job.
    - Don't be afraid to take on a new job that's outside your comfort zone. If your new job is identical to your last job, then you'll end up stuck in the same rut.

• A powerful story Rod. I'm glad you found your way through that period of change. It's an ongoing challenge for all of us to stay current and even to figure out "current" should be.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply