Solve a problem without using Loops

• I know I can solve this problem using a looping strategy but I was hoping someone could suggest a way to do this without a row over row solution.

There are 2 tables - one containing invoices and one containing possible credits.

• Once the solution is completed the user should be able to look at the "credit" table and determine which credits are usable because their Current Balance is not equal to the starting balance.
    • In my example I have limited the data to only one specific supplier and ship to pair, the actual data could have multiple supplier and ship to combinations (I left those out to clearly explain the problem)
    • The credits can only be used against invoices that have a matching ship to and supplier pair.

If I was doing a looping solution I would take the largest credit and start applying it to the invoices in order of largest to smallest until the balance of the credit is zero, then I would move on to the next to the next credit until I had no credits and no invoices left.

In the example below the first 2 credits should be fully used.  The third credit should should be partially used and the last credit should go untouched

Any advice?

The structure and the data is listed below...

drop table #InvoicesWithBalances

drop table #AvailableCredits

create table #InvoicesWithBalances

(

InvoiceKey decimal(18,0) not null,

APBalance decimal(18,6) null,

BalanceAfterCreditApplied decimal(18,6) null,

ShipToNumber nvarchar(10),

SupplierNumber nvarchar(10)

)

create table #AvailableCredits

(

StartingBalance decimal(18,6) null,

CurrentBalance decimal(18,6) null,

)

insert into #InvoicesWithBalances (invoicekey,APBalance,BalanceAfterCreditApplied,ShipToNumber,SupplierNumber)

select distinct documentkey,balance,balance,ShipToNumber,SupplierNumber from EFT_AR_AP_Snapshot a inner join invoice b on a.documentkey = b.invoicekey

where startdate < CURRENT_TIMESTAMP and enddate = '2050-01-01' and EntryType = 1 and balance > 0

and TermsDiscountDueDate <= CURRENT_TIMESTAMP

insert into #AvailableCredits (invoicekey,StartingBalance,CurrentBalance,ShipToNumber,SupplierNumber)

select distinct documentkey,balance,balance,ShipToNumber,SupplierNumber from EFT_AR_AP_Snapshot a inner join invoice b on a.documentkey = b.invoicekey

where startdate < CURRENT_TIMESTAMP and enddate = '2050-01-01' and EntryType = 1 and balance < 0

and TermsDiscountDueDate <= CURRENT_TIMESTAMP

insert into #InvoicesWithBalances values (5452, 13744.080000, 13744.080000, 'C100101', 'ACCU17')

insert into #InvoicesWithBalances values (7056, 13744.080000, 13744.080000, 'C100101', 'ACCU17')

insert into #InvoicesWithBalances values (7438, 500.000000, 500.000000 , 'C100101', 'ACCU17')

insert into #AvailableCredits values (9580, -13744.080000, -13744.080000, 'C100101', 'ACCU17')

insert into #AvailableCredits values (11135, -13700.080000, -13700.080000, 'C100101', 'ACCU17')

insert into #AvailableCredits values (11136, -500.000000, -500.000000, 'C100101', 'ACCU17')

insert into #AvailableCredits values (9581, -500.000000, -500.000000, 'C100101', 'ACCU17')

select * from #InvoicesWithBalances where suppliernumber = 'ACCU17' and shiptonumber = 'C100101' order by apbalance desc

select * from #AvailableCredits where suppliernumber = 'ACCU17' and shiptonumber = 'C100101' order by startingbalance asc

• This topic was modified 5 years ago by  tfeuz.
  • While there is probably a way to calculate all invoices and credits in a single query using recursive CTEs, I think this case is better served by using loops. In my opinion, you are dealing with individual financial transactions, and each transaction should be completed and committed before moving on to other transactions. I would also have a table for the applied values, and record the invoice, the credit, the amount applied, and the before-and-after values for both the invoice and credit. The transaction would create the applied record, update the invoice, update the credit, error check, then commit. Once that is finished and "in the books", I would move on to the next set. So I think your first instincts are correct.

By the way, you may want to start with the oldest credit first, rather than starting with the largest. That minimizes the possibility that an older, smaller check remains unprocessed and is eventually canceled by the bank before it gets used. I also suggest applying to the oldest invoice first, minimizing the possibility of violating customers' terms. If there is a older, small invoice at "net 30", but the newer invoices are larger so get first priority, it may be more than 30 days before the invoice gets credited, thus incurring penalties. Those are my suggestions, not knowing your specific business, so discard what doesn't make sense for your case.

• Thanks Jonathan

Your points about the additional data in the tables are well taken - this is just a simplified example for the purpose of this post.

I was convinced going into this that using loops was the only way to do it and I am glad that at least one person agreed with me....

Thanks for taking the time to respond...

TF

• If anyone is interested... here is what we came up with...

drop table #InvoicesWithBalances

drop table #AvailableCredits

drop table #invoice

drop table #credits

create table #InvoicesWithBalances

(

Balance decimal(18,6) null,

)

create table #AvailableCredits

(

Balance decimal(18,6) null,

)

--- create rownumber based on ShipToNumber,SupplierNumber

create table #invoice

(

invoice_row_num int,

InvoiceKey int,

SupplierNumber nvarchar(10),

Balance decimal (18,6),

RunningTotal decimal (18,6)

);

create table #credits

(

credit_row_num int,

InvoiceKey int,

SupplierNumber nvarchar(10),

Balance decimal (18,6),

RunningTotal decimal (18,6),

oktouse bit

);

-- test data

insert into #InvoicesWithBalances values (5452, 13744.080000, 'C100101', 'ACCU17')

insert into #InvoicesWithBalances values (7056, 13744.080000, 'C100101', 'ACCU17')

insert into #InvoicesWithBalances values (7438, 500.000000, 'C100101', 'ACCU17')

insert into #AvailableCredits values (9580, -13744.080000, 'C100101', 'ACCU17')

insert into #AvailableCredits values (11135, -13700.080000, 'C100101', 'ACCU17')

insert into #AvailableCredits values (11136, -500.000000, 'C100101', 'ACCU17')

insert into #AvailableCredits values (9581, -500.000000, 'C100101', 'ACCU17')

-- move the data to the invoice table and assign a row number... order by biggest invoices to smallest

insert into #invoice

select ROW_NUMBER() OVER (PARTITION BY ShipToNumber,SupplierNumber ORDER BY Balance desc) as row_num, InvoiceKey, ShipToNumber,SupplierNumber,balance,0 FROM #InvoicesWithBalances;

-- move data to the credit table and give it a row number - order by biggest credit to smallest

insert into #credits

select ROW_NUMBER() OVER (PARTITION BY ShipToNumber,SupplierNumber ORDER BY Balance asc) as row_num,InvoiceKey, ShipToNumber,SupplierNumber,balance,0,0 FROM #AvailableCredits;

-- calculate the total for each member/supplier pair as a running total for each line

;WITH CTE

AS ( SELECT invoice_row_num,InvoiceKey , Balance ,ShipToNumber ,SupplierNumber ,

RunningTotal = Balance

FROM #invoice

WHERE invoice_row_num IN ( SELECT MIN(invoice_row_num)

FROM #invoice

GROUP BY ShipToNumber ,SupplierNumber )

UNION ALL

SELECT y.invoice_row_num ,y.InvoiceKey , y.Balance , y.ShipToNumber ,y.SupplierNumber ,

RunningTotal = cast(x.RunningTotal + y.Balance as decimal(18,6))

FROM CTE x

JOIN #invoice y ON y.ShipToNumber = x.ShipToNumber and y.SupplierNumber = x.SupplierNumber

AND y.invoice_row_num = x.invoice_row_num + 1

)

update i

set i.RunningTotal = c.RunningTotal

FROM #invoice i

inner join CTE c on i.ShipToNumber = c.ShipToNumber and i.SupplierNumber = c.SupplierNumber and i.InvoiceKey = c.InvoiceKey and i.invoice_row_num = c.invoice_row_num

-- now calcualte the running total for the credits

;WITH CTE

AS ( SELECT credit_row_num,InvoiceKey , Balance ,ShipToNumber ,SupplierNumber ,

RunningTotal = Balance

FROM #credits

WHERE credit_row_num IN ( SELECT MIN(invoice_row_num)

FROM #invoice

GROUP BY ShipToNumber ,SupplierNumber )

UNION ALL

SELECT y.credit_row_num ,y.InvoiceKey , y.Balance , y.ShipToNumber ,y.SupplierNumber ,

RunningTotal = cast(x.RunningTotal + y.Balance as decimal (18,6))

FROM CTE x

JOIN #credits y ON y.ShipToNumber = x.ShipToNumber and y.SupplierNumber = x.SupplierNumber

AND y.credit_row_num = x.credit_row_num + 1

)

update i

set i.RunningTotal = c.RunningTotal

FROM #credits i

inner join CTE c on i.ShipToNumber = c.ShipToNumber and i.SupplierNumber = c.SupplierNumber and i.InvoiceKey = c.InvoiceKey and i.credit_row_num = c.credit_row_num

-- now we need to find the credits we can use. If the sum total of the credits in the running total + plust the invoices is greater than 0 , then we can use the credit.

update cc set cc.oktouse = 1

from #credits cc

inner join

(

select max(credit_row_num) as max_credit_row_num ,c.ShipToNumber,c.SupplierNumber from #invoice i

inner join #credits c on i.ShipToNumber = c.ShipToNumber and i.SupplierNumber = c.SupplierNumber and i.RunningTotal +c.Runningtotal > 0

group by c.ShipToNumber,c.SupplierNumber

) x

on x.ShipToNumber = cc.ShipToNumber and x.SupplierNumber = cc.SupplierNumber and x.max_credit_row_num> = cc.credit_row_num

select * from #Invoice

select * from #credits

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply