Small negative numbers

• Solomon Rutzky - Wednesday, November 28, 2018 2:14 PM

It's mostly a matter of scale. When dealing with up to a few hundred, or even a few thousand, rows, then 1 or 2 bytes here and there don't have a noticeable impact. But, as row counts increase (definitely by the time you hit a million rows), the consequences of these decisions will start becoming apparent. I have attempted to document as many of the down-stream side effects of these datatype decisions in the following article (here on SSC):

Disk Is Cheap! ORLY?

Take care, Solomon..

I LOVE that article, Solomon.  I've pointed people to it many times when they tell me (especially at work) that "Disk Space is Cheap".  It's an extensive article that exposes all the hidden "Total Cost of Ownership" that most people never even considered.  The really good part is that it's not just my opinion when I can refer people to an independently written article by someone that has nothing to gain at the company I'm working for.

Thanks  again for writing it and taking the time to have it published.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing post 16 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply