Sluggish row painting in SQL Server Management Studio

• Hi!

After switching my database development to a new PC with more RAM, faster CPU and different (better?) graphics hardware, I found that in SQL Server Managament Studio the function "Open table" in the context menu of the Object Explorer yields a very very slow painting of the datarows in the result grid. This was definitly not the case on my old PC. Are the open-results displayed in a datagridview control of the .NET 2.0 framework? And does the performance of displaying the grid depends on the graphics hardware environment of the PC? I don't know - does anybody have the same experience?

Best

Jörg

• Hi I have exactly the same problem!

Only when I change my resolution lower the results are displayed fast, but on my normal screen resolution the resultsets in management studio are displayed very slow..

If anyone has a suggestion please let us know!

• Ummm... use the lower resolution? What do you consider to be a low resolution?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• If it's any use one of the guys in my office has a similar prob... He reckons it'll be sorted with the new Vista service pack (whenever that comes out).

• Whihc is the OS you are using.

"Keep Trying"

• Hi!

I am using Windos XP Pro SP2.

Jörg

• I had this problem as well (on a high-spec machine). After a LOT of effort trying to sort out this problem, I gave up.

Later I downloaded a display driver update. Although this seems completely unrelated, it solved the problem!

Maybe this will help for you as well.

• Well, I have a NVIDIA Geforce 8600 GT in my machine; I haven't a clue if it is this hardware in conjunction with the XP driver that causes the trouble.

Jörg

• This is an NVidia problem. Some people have posted that changing the acceleration on their drivers solve the issue.

I tried this and it does indeed solve it, but then direct 3d is turned off 🙁

I will try the latest drivers and report if it fixes the problem or not.

================================ EDIT===================

I have the latest drivers already 🙁

Perhaps i need to install some older ones...

NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS Version 169.21

• Same problem here

Dell Precision 6300m with NVIDIA FX1600M

Win XP SP2.

Lowering the Hardware Acceleration did not work for me but I will try lowering the resolution. I run 2 monitors at 1440 x 900. I will try changing the refresh as well

• Just a quick followup that I was mistaken in my previous reply. Disabling the acceleration DID work. Changing screen refresh rates had no effect.

I will try a few more things and post any positive results 🙂

• Hi all!

I disabled the hardware acceleration and IT WORKED. The grid builds up fast as it should. Now I am asking myself if this is the best solution or if some other problems could arise because of this setting...

Best

Jörg

• Exact same issue, with two NEW Dell workstations. Went from a Precisions 690 with Duo-Core, 4 GB Ram, 10K RPM HD to a Precisions T7400 with Quad-Core, 4 GB Ram, 15K RPM HD. Windows XP SP2 on both using SQL Svr Developer 2005. Old PC has nVidia Quadro 550 128 MB, new PC has nVidia Quadro 570 256 MB.

Old PC (690), Open Table fast & snappy

New PC (T7400), Open Table slow and sluggish.

Regular Select Queries Run fast and snappy on both.

Tried disabling HW acceleration on the video card, no effect

Tried new drivers from nVida web site, no effect

Tried disabling Direct X, no effect

Tried upgrading Direct X, no effect

Going to pull Quadro 550 from old PC and put it into new PC

Running out of options...

• Changing video cards worked!!!

I put an Nvidia Quadro 550 128 MB Video card for Dell Precision 690 into the New T7400.

No more sluggish behaviour, users now happy. Didn't even have to change the drivers.

It also works with a 128 MB ATI Fire GL V3400. (had to install drivers for that)

Dell's response, "the Nvidia Quadro 570 256 MB Video card has been tested and certified to work properly with SQL 2005"

• Hello.

i have the same problem with Dell Latitude D830 - unfortunatly changing the video card is no option for my laptop 🙁

Disabling the hardware acceration worked - but is not really satisfing to me.

Any suggestions?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply