Slipstreaming SP1 and Enterprise edition

• I am trying to install SQL Server 2008 Enterprise on a Windows 2008 R2 box. I have followed the instructions to slipstream SP1 into the media http://blogs.msdn.com/petersad/archive/2009/02/25/sql-server-2008-creating-a-merged-slisptream-drop.aspx.

After I am done, I end up with Standard edition install instead. Anyone run into this and know a work-around?

Thanks,

Kathi

Aunt Kathi Data Platform MVP
    Author of Expert T-SQL Window Functions
    Simple-Talk Editor

• I love how I always find my answer within 5 minutes of posting a question!

Here is the workaround to avoid slipstreaming: http://wadingthrough.wordpress.com/2009/09/14/problem-installing-sql-server-2008-on-windows-2008-r2/

Simple-Talk Editor

• I know you already figured it out, but just in case, I saw this:

http://www.mssqltips.com/tip.asp?tip=1902

I've never done this stuff, so I have no idea how useful it might be.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Thanks, Grant. This is confusing stuff. A few months ago I was actually able to slipstream the service pack into a Standard install with no problems.

I tried doing this twice with Enterprise media, and it changed it to Standard media. Very strange! I did end up getting the job done today with the alternate method.

Simple-Talk Editor

• Ok... I claim extreme ignorance about 2k8 installations but I'm getting ready to do a test install. What do you good folks mean by "slipstreaming" in the context of this thread?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• I'm debating playing with it too. I know Jack Corbett just wrote a couple posts about slipstreaming on his blog that I've been meaning to go back and read in more detail. I've gotta do a production switchover to 2008 in just over a week, so I guess it's a good time to start researching the best way to do it.

Seth Phelabaum

Consistency is only a virtue if you're not a screwup. 😉

Links: How to Post Sample Data[/url] :: Running Totals[/url] :: Tally Table[/url] :: Cross Tabs/Pivots[/url] :: String Concatenation[/url]

• Slipstreaming is doing a SQL 2008 install that also installs SP1 during the install, not the usual post install of the service pack, Windows 2008R2 will not install SQL 2008 without the slipstream install. The articles that detail how to accomplish it are pretty simple, just need to create some directories and move some files around to get it running.

Andrew

• Take a look at the links I posted. Slipstreaming is combining the service pack with the RTM media. If all goes well, you don't have to apply the service pack after the install -- it's already there.

When I installed a SQL Server 2008 cluster on Windows 2008 R2, the install failed because of this issue, so I knew going in with this install that I would have to do it.

The big problem I had was that slipstreaming changed my Enterprise install into a Standard install.

Simple-Talk Editor

• I was thinking it persisted all your server settings and everything as well. Just installing SP1 in the same step doesn't really seem worth it for a one time deployment, especially if there can be additional issues with the slipstream install.

I'll keep it in mind for if/when we need to create some virtual dev machines though.

Seth Phelabaum

Consistency is only a virtue if you're not a screwup. 😉

Links: How to Post Sample Data[/url] :: Running Totals[/url] :: Tally Table[/url] :: Cross Tabs/Pivots[/url] :: String Concatenation[/url]

• doesn't seem simple to me, looks fiddly and manual and therefore error prone.

I presume this is intended to be a one off process to update your copy of the release software? Can you back it out to just the base software again?

Surely that is only really useful if you have a lot of installs from scratch to do at the same time, how often does that happen?

As an aside, why does everything become 10 times more complicated as soon as you get into clustering? 🙂

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• Kathi Kellenberger (4/9/2010)

Take a look at the links I posted. Slipstreaming is combining the service pack with the RTM media. If all goes well, you don't have to apply the service pack after the install -- it's already there.

When I installed a SQL Server 2008 cluster on Windows 2008 R2, the install failed because of this issue, so I knew going in with this install that I would have to do it.

The big problem I had was that slipstreaming changed my Enterprise install into a Standard install.

Ah... got it. If you have media later than the RTM, will any of this be a problem? In other words, if I have post RTM media (latest copy of 2k8 Dev Ed), I should just be able to do the install and follow that up with the latest sp?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Well, whatever media you have should work. Maybe I should have just said "the media" and left RTM out.

Simple-Talk Editor

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply