Skills Upgrading

• I was involved with SQL server for the first 20 years or so that it was in existence. I started with the Microsoft O/S 1.3 version and used every major version after that including 5 or so years with SQL Server 2000. I worked as both a database administrator and a visual basic programmer writing data access code. During that time, I wrote thousands of triggers, stored procedures, and views.

My work took me away from SQL Server for the past 8 or so years. I am looking at going into retirement and am thinking about trying to find some contract work doing database development and administration. My preference is toward database development as there is less overnight work.

What I am looking for is some advice on upgrading my skills. I had passed both the SQL Server 2000 development and administration courses in the past.

My current plan is as follows:

1. Complete and write the tests for the Microsoft courses 461, 462, 463, 464, 465, 466, and 467. I am hoping to finish once course per month.

2. Read some of the in-depth reference material. I used to read Ken Henderson's books cover to cover but was surprised to learn he is no longer with us (R.I.P). I was looking at the SQL Server Internal series of books.

Can you recommend any additional reference material?

Paul Clark

• I would suggest Microsoft Virtual Academy, the site has changed and now leans towards certification. This is a personal choice and no doubt others will have excellent suggestions for resources, but it does now include references to free subscriptions, which can't be bad?

• After such a long time away from working with SQL Server I'd say tackling an exam per month is ambitious at best. 461, 462 and 463 there are Microsoft training materials for but a lot has changed since the days of SQL 2000 so your looking at a lot of studying and practice to be prepared for the exams.

MCITP SQL 2005, MCSA SQL 2012

• If it's the Database Developer world you seek, I agree... a lot has changed. But even more has not and your previous skills will serve you well.

My recommendation would be that you Google for the engine differences between 2000 and 2005 and then learn those. There were some fantastic changes in that jump including some remarkable tools known as "Windowing Functions" and, if you're into it, some great additions for handling (ugh!) XML. They also introduced CTE's (like moving derived tables in FROM clauses up to the top, to be brief) and much more. It would also be a good idea to look into the new "Dynamic Management Views" that replace what used to be done using system tables.

The jump from 2005 to 2008 wasn't quite as climatic programming wise. I skipped it and the 2008R2 version.

Once they got 2012 right (took them 'til sp3), it's freaking awesome. Some of the improvements to SSMS are things that I always thought should be there since the git when it comes to editing.

2014 had more improvements but I'm skipping that.

After being way behind, we finally upgraded from 2005 to 2012 this year. We never live on the bleeding edge so we won't make the jump to 2016 until mid to late 2017.

Also, certifications can help your study patterns and your ability to "get your foot in the door" but they won't help you with the "Ninja" stuff. For example, do you know what a Tally or Numbers Table is an how it can be used to replace certain types of explicit loops in a set-based manner? That's the type of stuff that you won't find in certification books.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply