Silent Install - Question about parameters

• Greetings,

I have generated a nice silent install of SQL Server Express 2014. I am using a configuration file to pass my parameters to the install and though generally, that works great, there is one problem that I just cannot resolve. Here it is...

I want Management Studio (SSMS) to install along with the rest of the install, and I first saw documentation that suggested this was the ini line to add...

FEATURES=SQL,SSMS,ADV_SSMS

This DID NOT work - SSMS did not install. While researching this problem I then saw a post that said do it this way...

FEATURES=SQL,Tools

But this also DID NOT work - SSMS did not install.

Can someone shed some light on (#1) what the correct parameters is, and (#2) if I am making any other mistakes.

Thanks very much for any help you can give.

There's no such thing as dumb questions, only poorly thought-out answers...
  • features =SQL, AS, RS, IS, Tools.

The SQL feature will install the database engine, replication, and full-text.

The Tools feature will install Management Tools, Books online, SQL Server Data Tools, and other shared components.

When you specify SQL, Tools then it will install database engine, tools feature mentioned above.

if does not work can you share the detail setup log

• Thanks for the reply, but a few things to note...

When I include Tools am I, or am I not supposed to be seeing Management Studio - because it has never installed with that setting, or (for that matter) SSMS and ADV_SSMS. I got those all right out of Microsoft's documentation.

Also, a minor item - you show "FEATURES=SQL, TOOLS [etc.]" with a SPACE between the comma and the next option. Again, Microsoft's documentation says NO SPACES and indeed, when I had spaces as you do, nothing beyond SQL at all installed. So I presume its NO SPACES required. Have you (or others) seen this as well?

Thanks

• Bear in mind, this is from installing SQL2014 Enterprise from the command line, but what I use is:

/FEATURES=SQLENGINE,IS,SSMS,ADV_SSMS

This *does* install SSMS on the system. I would suggest make sure you're actually using the right SQL Express installer that includes SSMS (either SQLEXPRADV_x64_ENU.exe or SQLEXPRWT_x64_ENU.exe) That might be the problem, you might have the wrong installer.

{EDIT}

Forgot to mention, IS would be Integration Services, which Express doesn't have, so you'd want the line to look like:

/FEATURES=SQLENGINE,SSMS,ADV_SSMS

• Jasona.work,

Thanks very much - I think you found my problem. I am not using the correct install. There is no "ADV" in the name so I think I have the version that does not include SSMS.

Let me get on that - and thanks so much for the heads up on it.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply