Side-by-side Data Regions (SSRS2008)

• I have a customer asking for a report formatted in a way I've never done before. Attached is a picture of an example of the layout. (The coloring is just to point out the fields that need to match. They won't be that way on the report.)

Basically, the left three columns will print for each sales person. The columns to the right contain the detailed information for each sales person, and can have a variable number of lines.

The left columns contain the earliest and latest dates from the details as the date range, the largest number of unit sales, and the total of all sales for that person.

I'm thinking I need two tablixes side by side. That usually presents a problem with alignment. Has anyone done something similar with SSRS? Does anyone have any ideas that might be a better solution?

TIA,

Wayne

• You can defnitely do this with SSRS. You may need 1 or more subreports, but it is definitely doable. The right would be the subreport.

Jared
    CE - Microsoft

• To keep two or more data regions together physically on render, put them into a rectangle. The rectangle will control the positioning of all of its contained items.

That being said - it looks like a single Matrix control might be of more use to you. You can use parent groups, child groups, and adjacent groups for both rows and columns.

[font="Courier New"]Looking for a Deadlock Victim Support Group..[/font]
  • Thanks. Someone here suggested the matrix approach, too, so I'm going to give that a shot. I've never used a matrix in that manner, but I can see how it will do what I'm looking for.

• Overall I would start with a list control and group on sales person and lay out all of the elements on the left, then add a subreport on the right and feed in the sales person and the dates and any other parameters. In that subreport you would create the table with the columns and detail row groupings. I don't believe that you would need a matrix since your columns don't appear to be dynamic. You might be able to get away without a subreport and just drop a table control into a rectangle on the right and set the grouping to a lower level of detail than the list control. I believe if you do that, you have only one dataset for both the list and table. If you are exporting to Excel you'll need to make sure that when using a subreport it exports correctly. IIRC there were issues with that.

MWise

Edit: Attached a screen shot from a test report using AdventureWorks. Done as described above without a subreport - just place a table control in the list on the right side and set the groups appropriately.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply