Short cut key

• Grant Fritchey (7/15/2008)

Well it sure doesn't work by default. I tried it in 2005 and 2008 and received nothing. I also note, that the answer, ALT-F1, is not listed in the documentation linked to. I'm calling shenanigans on this one.

Grant:

You gotta do it by highlighting the object name possibly surrounded by double quotes (if of the form schema.object e.g. "dbo.tableX" ) in a query window for it to work. :angry:

πŸ™ πŸ™ Not a good question!:( πŸ™

Hiding under a desk from SSIS Implemenation Work :crazy:

• OK. I got it to work... eh. I'm underwhelmed by this one. I get more out of Red Gate's SQL Prompt, easier.

One serious comment. If documentation is supplied, it really should mention the functionality that it's supposed to be documenting.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Shaun McGuile (7/15/2008)

Grant Fritchey (7/15/2008)

Well it sure doesn't work by default. I tried it in 2005 and 2008 and received nothing. I also note, that the answer, ALT-F1, is not listed in the documentation linked to. I'm calling shenanigans on this one.

Grant:

You gotta do it by highlighting the object name possibly surrounded by double quotes (if of the form schema.object e.g. "dbo.tableX" ) in a query window for it to work. :angry:

πŸ™ πŸ™ Not a good question!:( πŸ™

Thats right. As Øystein Fallo originally pointed out, to have the schema with the table name (e.g. dbo.Test), you need double quotes around (so "dbo.Test"), whereas if it is just the table name alone (e.g. Test), then no double quotes are needed (so Test).

• I don't get it whats the point?

How does the functionality help me the DBA/Developer?

It gives me info on a table or proc which I could get elsewhere and more easily.

• Did anyone else notice the date for this QOTD is a month in the future?

Doc Brown rules!

Was that weird or what!

Jamie

• Jamie Longstreet (7/15/2008)

Did anyone else notice the date for this QOTD is a month in the future?

Doc Brown rules!

Was that weird or what!

Definately a "Doh!" moment in someone's life. πŸ˜€

• You gotta do it by highlighting the object name possibly surrounded by double quotes (if of the form schema.object e.g. "dbo.tableX" ) in a query window for it to work.

Seemed to work well for me, but since it mentioned stored procedure, I opened one before I ran the shortcut. I am also a sysadmin as well as a dbo on that system. Perhaps that is an issue for some of the people who did not see the information come up with the shortcut.

If you can log into an instance on your local machine where you are a sysadmin, it may be more revealing. I didn't check this out - I am surmising. Maybe someone can offer more light here?

Jamie

• jpowers (7/14/2008)

Did anyone else notice the date for this QOTD is a month in the future?

Doc Brown rules!

:blink:

Yes, I did. Time travel is real! πŸ™‚

-------------------
    A SQL query walks into a bar and sees two tables. He walks up to them and asks, "Can I join you?"
    Ref.: http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2009/02/sql-joke.html

• Shaun McGuile (7/15/2008)

I don't get it whats the point?

How does the functionality help me the DBA/Developer?

It gives me info on a table or proc which I could get elsewhere and more easily.

OK Shaun, suggest me the more easy way to get help of a Table or Stored Procedure without writing a single character except object name.

Here you just need to type the name of table/proc and click Alt+F1, you can see all the info of object like Columns, Indexes, PK, Constraints etc.

• ok - object browser in management studio gives me all of the information.

I just click and drill down to the level of detail I want, no need to run any queries/stored procs. πŸ™‚

Does the sp_help shortcut give anything more?

• "To execute sp_help procedure for any object, just select object name and press Alt+F1. "

OK. So I took this to mean that I could highlight an object in the object explorer and press Alt+F1. I see it now. I do not see Alt+F1 at all in the documentation link.

This has to be done "in code" in a query.

😎

• Grant Fritchey (7/15/2008)

Worked fine here... I just tried it in adventureworks..

[HumanResources.JobCandidate]

If you highlight/select the above in a query window and press ALT+F1 it runs sp_help on it.

--Mark Tassin
    MCITP - SQL Server DBA
    Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
    For help with Performance click this link[/url]
    For tips on how to post your problems[/url]

• The documentation linked does not have an ALT+F1 combination listed. However, after trying it out as the feedback suggests, I can get it to work. What is the correct documentation link so see this?

• jim.powers (7/15/2008)

The documentation linked does not have an ALT+F1 combination listed. However, after trying it out as the feedback suggests, I can get it to work. What is the correct documentation link so see this?

Check back after August 15th. Apparently it hasn't been listed yet.

Tom Garth
    Vertical Solutions[/url]

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -- Will Rogers
  • Hari.Sharma

Just select a table name and press Alt+F1 and see the result...

Using SSMS (SQL Express) pressed f8 to bring up object explorer. Selected a database (Northwind), then selected a table name in the object explorer window pressed Alt+F1, and nothing absolutely nothing happend

Using SSMS (Developer Edition) repeated above key strokes and nothing absolutely nothing happend

But if I type the table name into the query window and press Alt+F1 I get the help index displayed but not specific help pertaining to the table named? ? ? ?

Definitely a poorly worded QOD!

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 51 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply