Share your best possible answers--

• Koen Verbeeck (3/12/2015)

below86 (3/12/2015)

I'm not a fan of SSIS 2012 for sure, 2008 is OK.

🙁

What's worse in 2012 than in 2008?

One huge problem I see so far is when I disable a step, there is such a slight difference in the color compared to one that is enabled that it is hard to easily see, in 2008 this was a lot easier to see. The whole color schem is ugly, in my opinion, I might as well have a monochrome monitor again. The only way I saw to make the disabled stpes stand out was to change the whole color schem to 'Dark', I think that's what it was called. So if you know of anything to make this better please share, I've tried to GOOGLE it with no luck.

Maybe I'm just old and need some glasses. 😎

-------------------------------------------------------------
    we travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us
    Don't fear failure, fear regret.

• below86 (3/12/2015)

Koen Verbeeck (3/12/2015)

below86 (3/12/2015)

🙁

One huge problem I see so far is when I disable a step, there is such a slight difference in the color compared to one that is enabled that it is hard to easily see, in 2008 this was a lot easier to see. The whole color schem is ugly, in my opinion, I might as well have a monochrome monitor again. The only way I saw to make the disabled stpes stand out was to change the whole color schem to 'Dark', I think that's what it was called. So if you know of anything to make this better please share, I've tried to GOOGLE it with no luck.

That's Visual Studio, not SSIS. SSIS itself has improved a lot in 2012. If you are using Visual Studio 2012 (which I guess you do), you can download other schemes that don't hurt your eyes as much.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• below86 (3/12/2015)

below86 (3/12/2015)

🙁

It's not because you're getting old, at least I hope not.

Seems to be a trend to use color that are not best for contrast. It's more common on web pages. My pet peeve? Why have a web page with grey text, sometimes light grey, on a white background? When did black on white become the wrong thing to do?

Any, just my $0.03 worth.

Who wants the soapbox next?

Alvin Ramard
    Memphis PASS Chapter[/url]

All my SSC forum answers come with a money back guarantee. If you didn't like the answer then I'll gladly refund what you paid for it.

For best practices on asking questions, please read the following article: Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help[/url]

• Alvin Ramard (3/12/2015)

Seems to be a trend to use color that are not best for contrast. It's more common on web pages. My pet peeve? Why have a web page with grey text, sometimes light grey, on a white background? When did black on white become the wrong thing to do?

Pure black and white is too harsh of a contrast, I've read somewhere.

Dark grey is preferred and is used on a lot of websites. Light gray on white is indeed a bad choice.

below86 (3/12/2015)

below86 (3/12/2015)

🙁

That's Visual Studio, not SSIS. SSIS itself has improved a lot in 2012. If you are using Visual Studio 2012 (which I guess you do), you can download other schemes that don't hurt your eyes as much.

OK, yes I'm using Visual Studio 2012, so I'll have to do some more searching to find these schemes.:-)

-------------------------------------------------------------
    we travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us
    Don't fear failure, fear regret.

• below86 (3/12/2015)

below86 (3/12/2015)

below86 (3/12/2015)

🙁

OK, yes I'm using Visual Studio 2012, so I'll have to do some more searching to find these schemes.:-)

I think this is a good start:

https://visualstudiogallery.msdn.microsoft.com/366ad100-0003-4c9a-81a8-337d4e7ace05

• below86 (3/12/2015)

Jeff Moden (2/19/2015)

The correction I would make is that the sources that you mention aren't what I'd call "heterogeneous". The sources that you mention are very specific and, although the basic structure of the individual files will be different even in the same class of structures, the classes are each basically handled in just a couple of different ways.

I also wouldn't call SSIS just and ETL tool. It's also a process control tool that can be used to control processes whether or not ETL is one of those processes.

Shifting gears a bit, I don't use SSIS. For all those things you've mentioned, I've found it to be faster and easier to do things using T-SQL and the occasional trip through xp_CmdShell to the operating system (DOS commands and sometimes batch files, as well) or the occasional use of PoSH and/or WMI. For example, I've written two separate world wide call accounting packages that do anything and everything from FTP download to modem downloads from "PollCats", etc, to uploading to 3rd party processing ("Atlantax" and "ZPDI", for example) and everything in between without going anywhere near SSIS.

None of that should be interpreted as me thinking that SSIS is bad. I just don't need to use it for what most people would use it for and have personally elected to avoid it so that I don't have yet another "system" to maintain and keep secure.

I'm not a fan of SSIS 2012 for sure, 2008 is OK. But I like our idea Jeff of not using it at all, but some of us have no choice, if corporate says to use it that's what we got to do.

🙁

Yep... I absolutely get that. That's why I've invented the ultimate, extra powerful, 4 band pork chop launcher with automatic reloading to make it through the extra thick hides of the management levels that live in very cold rarefied atmospheres. They are a different type of animal. :-D:-P

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Alvin Ramard (3/12/2015)

Pure black and white is too harsh of a contrast, I've read somewhere.

Dark grey is preferred and is used on a lot of websites. Light gray on white is indeed a bad choice.

Heh... yeah... I love the ones with Dark Grey on a Black Background. Those are SO easy to read. :sick:

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden (3/12/2015)

Heh... yeah... I love the ones with Dark Grey on a Black Background. Those are SO easy to read. :sick:

Almost as bad as very dark blue on black or light yellow on white. Last I came across those (or at least that I am aware of) was many years ago when we had a much more limited range of colours on out graphics cards meaning the only chance you had to notice there was any text present was if you had selected everything on the screen.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply