Setting up instances of SQL server for tabular and multidimensional models

• Hi,

I have been advised that i need separate instances of SQL server for tabular and multidimensional models.

I am not entirely clear what this means in terms of installation. It sounds like i need to do more than 1 install.

I am looking to install SQL server 2016 developer edition and then build cubes and data models.

I thought i had to install only once the download which had SSAS, SSIS etc included if i selected them in the install.

Does anyone know of a clear video/Step-by-step installation guide to ensure i get the correct set-up to install on my local machine SQL server with the ability to query, build cubes, data models and run SSIS packages please?

Thanks,

Q

• If you need to use both SSAS Tabular and SSAS Multi dimensional, you will need to install 2 separate instances of SSAS (one for each). So, yes, you will need to run the installation twice.

For SQL Server and SSIS, you only need to do one install (you can choose whether you want to do this as part of the first or second SSAS installation).

• Hi,

Thanks @happycat59

So would i do two installs in total then?

In one i would put as default ie localhost (SSIS, Queries and SSAS tabular) and the other a named instance (SSAS multidimensional).

So during the installation i tick SSAS during both installs, but is there a selection where i tick tabular in one and multidimensional in the other?

One further question..

I need the sample databases set up on my local machine and to be able to do cube and data model build on my local machine as currently there is no resource for me to do this in our development environment. Are there any selections during install i need to be aware of to ensure this please?

So far the install instructions i have seen where by watching the following:

Many thanks in advance.

Q

• Yes - 2 installations as you state.

Microsoft sample database are separate downloads from http://msftdbprodsamples.codeplex.com/

To develop, you need to install the latest version of SQL Server Data Tools (SSDT). Head on over to the Microsoft download site for that.

If you have existing SSAS database (or from the Codeplex samples) installed, SSDT can import them for you and you can edit/change them as you need

• Thanks.

I thought SSDT came with the developer edition, but if not i will download separately. I know that i need Visual Studio 2015 (at least) to go with the 2016 developer edition. Not sure if that is an additional requirement?

Q

• SSDT will install with a visual studio shell - no need to get a full version of visual studio just for this.

• Thanks

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply