Service pack info

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Service pack info

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Easy one, thanks.

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Nice QOTD.

• Weird. SELECT @@version does not return SP information, at least not on my machine:

Microsoft SQL Server 2014 - 12.0.4213.0 (X64)

Jun 9 2015 12:06:16

Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation

Express Edition (64-bit) on Windows NT 6.3 <X64> (Build 9600: ) (Hypervisor)

According to https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms177512.aspx Product Version is only returned for Azure.

• It should be something like:

Microsoft SQL Server 2014 (SP2) (KB3171021) - 12.0.5000.0 (X64)

Jun 17 2016 19:14:09

Can you try this one:

SELECT SERVERPROPERTY('productlevel') AS ProductLevel;

What does it show ?

Cheers,

Iulian

• Iulian -207023 (8/1/2016)

It should be something like:

Can you try this one:

What does it show ?

Cheers,

Iulian

ProductLevel

SP1

• edwardwill (8/1/2016)

Iulian -207023 (8/1/2016)

It should be something like:

Can you try this one:

What does it show ?

Cheers,

Iulian

ProductLevel

SP1

I also found an instance with the same SP1 but where @@Version does not show the (SP1).

According to the documentation here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms174396.aspx

The SERVERPROPERTY function returns individual properties that relate to the version information whereas the @@VERSION function combines the output into one string. If your application requires individual property strings, you can use the SERVERPROPERTY function to return them instead of parsing the @@VERSION results.

So I would say there is an inconsistency, maybe a bug, in the way @@Version works for 2014 SP1.

• A simple one to start the week. After a week's vacation, I need to get my brain engaged again. Thanks.

• The lack of mention of the Service Pack when querying @@Version might not be a bug from 2014, but one depending on the way it was installed.

My local installation of SQL Server 2012, won't show the SP, but the servers will.

However, the version number can be used to determine the SP installed.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • I checked the correct answer, was told it was the correct answer, but was told my answer was wrong. :/

• Luis Cazares (8/1/2016)

The lack of mention of the Service Pack when querying @@Version might not be a bug from 2014, but one depending on the way it was installed.

My local installation of SQL Server 2012, won't show the SP, but the servers will.

However, the version number can be used to determine the SP installed.

Nice explanation, I did not thought about it.

• Strange. I selected the right answer but I declared me that my choice was wrong!

SELECT SERVERPROPERTY('productversion') as ProductVersion, SERVERPROPERTY('productlevel') as ProductLevel, SERVERPROPERTY('edition') as Edition, SERVERPROPERTY('ProductMajorVersion') as ProductMajorVersion, SERVERPROPERTY('ProductMinorVersion') as ProductMinorVersion

Thanks.

• SQL-DBA-01 (8/1/2016)

Strange. I selected the right answer but I declared me that my choice was wrong!

SELECT SERVERPROPERTY('productversion') as ProductVersion, SERVERPROPERTY('productlevel') as ProductLevel, SERVERPROPERTY('edition') as Edition, SERVERPROPERTY('ProductMajorVersion') as ProductMajorVersion, SERVERPROPERTY('ProductMinorVersion') as ProductMinorVersion

Did you select both answers? If not, it's considered wrong.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • Thanks - great question.

- webrunner

-------------------
    A SQL query walks into a bar and sees two tables. He walks up to them and asks, "Can I join you?"
    Ref.: http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2009/02/sql-joke.html

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply