Server/database consolidation questions

• kevaburg (3/10/2015)

I am curious. You seem to have made up your mind what works for you so why are you pushing so hard against the advice of People whose experience you want to call upon?

In summary:

1 Box, 1 Instance

If databases dont work well together, find out why and fix them.

Unless you have a very good reason for multiple instances, don't use them.

Thats about it really.

no offense, but it's because you haven't really proved to me your case for a single instance. what you may view as pushing back in my mind is fleshing out the facts.

the original intent of this thread was not to debate 1 vs multiple instance but rather what are the system limitations (if any). other that CPU being a shared resources, i don't see that there are any.

• JarJar (3/10/2015)

... "separation of databases which don't play nice together" is my answer. sharepoint must be on its own instance, bi on it's own instance, application databases on their own, infrastructure monitoring applications on their own, ERP on its own, etc. i don't want the buffer cache to be blown away because some bi report is reading 10GB of data, or our server monitoring software kicks in to rollup performance data. those apps can knock themselves out doing what they do and our sharepoint and ERP will be unaffected. plus we only have one windows server to update. this gets easier with alwayson or clustering but the single server instances must be done off-hours (pita). ...

I did a consolidation to 2008 Enterprise on a very beefy box with lots of memory. My instance allocation had a few criteria. GIS got its own instance because their upgrade/reboot cycle was wacky and big, things that required isolated security, and I dumped all of the low transaction volume DBs together. Our ERP had its own server(s) and I didn't do anything with it except check DBCCs, I didn't even deal with its backups.

It was a very successful migration and not terribly painful. But this was a tenth of the size of what you're dealing with, and didn't involve virtual servers. Just wanted to relate a couple of the criteria that I used.

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• JarJar (3/10/2015)

kevaburg (3/10/2015)

I am curious. You seem to have made up your mind what works for you so why are you pushing so hard against the advice of People whose experience you want to call upon?

In summary:

1 Box, 1 Instance

If databases dont work well together, find out why and fix them.

Unless you have a very good reason for multiple instances, don't use them.

Thats about it really.

no offense, but it's because you haven't really proved to me your case for a single instance. what you may view as pushing back in my mind is fleshing out the facts.

the original intent of this thread was not to debate 1 vs multiple instance but rather what are the system limitations (if any). other that CPU being a shared resources, i don't see that there are any.

1. Less Administration Overhead

2. Better oversight of all databases in a single Environment

3. Less resource wastage due to over allocation

4. Less risk of resource starvation to other instances

5. Greater Efficiency within a single Instance when SQL Server manages the resources

6. Better PLE because more Memory can be efficiently allocated

7. Reduced physical storage requirements

8. Less Windows Services resulting in less Memory consumed by the OS

9. Less concurrent activity between instances

10. Reduced complexity in backup/recovery strategies

11. Smaller attack surface area

12. Makes documentation easier

13. Reduces the amount of instances required for test Environments

These are just the Points off the top of my head

• Then by all means knock yourself out - don't ask if you don't want to know. Almost all of us don't do it for the reasons stated in previous posts.

• DeWayne_McCallie (3/10/2015)

Then by all means knock yourself out - don't ask if you don't want to know. Almost all of us don't do it for the reasons stated in previous posts.

thank you for your valuable contribution to this thread. :ermm:

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply