Server 2008 Moving Suggestoin ASAP

• HI Friends,

I have to move the existing SQL server to new powerfull server,

Can any one let me know the best practices how can i do that.

My existing sever is having publications(Publicatoin Sever) which is having heavy Publications and they sohuld not get disturbed and i should not loose data.

Please help me out this is mission critical for me.

ANd one more question i want to use the 32 processors which are placed in the new system.So which version of SQL sever Management studio is capabale of using them.

Please suggest ASAP.

@JayMunnangi

• mjkreddy1927 (8/25/2010)

HI Friends,

I have to move the existing SQL server to new powerfull server,

Can any one let me know the best practices how can i do that.

My existing sever is having publications(Publicatoin Sever) which is having heavy Publications and they sohuld not get disturbed and i should not loose data.

Please help me out this is mission critical for me.

ANd one more question i want to use the 32 processors which are placed in the new system.So which version of SQL sever Management studio is capabale of using them.

Please suggest ASAP.

In order to move the published databases you will have to either use backup / restore with the KEEP_REPLICATION option during the backup or do something with Database Mirroring. If you search the web, specifically the MS site, there are some links which will help you find the information about Database Mirroring. The information about restore and KEEP_REPLICATION is clear in BOL. You should consult the compatibility information here to make sure that your distributor and subscriber are going to work in conjunction with these changes. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143241%28v=SQL.100%29.aspx

As to the number of processors are you referring to what version of SQL Server to run? You can get that information pretty readily on the MS site as well. http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/compare-std-ent.aspx

David

@SQLTentmaker

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

• Yes sir i am going to use 2008 DATA CENTER edition it is only the version which is able to support the MAX no of pro's.

Where can i get the step by step procedure to moving the DB from one Hardware to Other. Without disturbing the replicatoins and Publications.

Please suggest

@JayMunnangi

• You really have two options, and you will have to do some reading and testing. Please make sure that you read the link that I provided that covered replication topology with multiple versions to ensure that your distributor and subscribers will be in compliance with your new server version.

You should also read this ARTICLE on Replication and Database Mirroring. This covers one option which involves making your publisher the Principal and the new server as the Mirror.

The other option is to use backup and restore with KEEP_REPLICATION. I have used this and it does work. In most cases I have had to stop the log reader agent after the restore, execute a sp_repldone, close the connection that I executed that as and then start log reader running again. This all has to be done when there is NO activity or you will lose transactions. (anything that wasn't committed during the backup will be rolled back and anything that had not been sent to the subscriber will be lost).

Again, you will have to read and test. The process and the implications are far too complicated to just "ask for help" on as this is really an engineering project that requires the due diligence associated with it.

Hope this helps get you started.

David

@SQLTentmaker

“He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose” - Jim Elliot

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply