Separate Forum for I want to be a DBA topics

• Practically every day there are loads of I want to be a DBA, the same replies are hashed and rehashed, it is like a continual deja vu every day and in different forums as well.

Can me have one place where all the nice editorials and articles about becoming a DBA are pinned. with even a topic for suggestions of what people are always looking for, so they can be added as time goes on.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [highlight]Recommended Articles on How to help us help you and[/highlight]
    [highlight]solve commonly asked questions[/highlight]

Forum Etiquette: How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help by Jeff Moden[/url]
    Managing Transaction Logs by Gail Shaw[/url]
    How to post Performance problems by Gail Shaw[/url]
    Help, my database is corrupt. Now what? by Gail Shaw[/url]

• The problem is that someone likely will not find it, or won't read it. Most people just post their question.

I'll look at a page that gathers together some links that you can reference.

• This is why I keep suggesting a FAQ page, where we can post common answers to common questions. Like "How do I start out as a DBA?", "Why was the QotD not vetted?", "Why are there articles that are wrong?", "How do I get my data back if I don't have any backups?", and "If I want an answer to a complex question, what's the best method for posting it?"

Users could nominate questions and answers based on frequency and how many times we have to type the same darn answer yet again. Then, instead of retyping the answer every time, we could just type, "Check the FAQ".

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Please add to the list:

recover modes - simple|bulk-logged|full

transaction log backups

why not to shrink your database

why not to shrink your transaction log

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• FAQ is a good idea. I'll start looking at a set of pages for that.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply