Sending Info Message back to client w/out context connection

• Hello

I am trying to send an informational message back to my SQL Client when I do not need a SQL Context Connection.

The following code produces an "Data access is not allowed in this context. " error

[SqlFunction(DataAccess = DataAccessKind.None, SystemDataAccess = SystemDataAccessKind.None)]

public static SqlBoolean apifDataValidationByType(SqlString data, SqlString moreData)

{

SqlBoolean ret = new SqlBoolean(false);

/*Do some work with the args*/

SqlContext.Pipe.Send("Some Information");

return ret;

}

When I change

[SqlFunction(DataAccess = DataAccessKind.None, SystemDataAccess = SystemDataAccessKind.None)]

to this

[SqlFunction(DataAccess = DataAccessKind.Read, SystemDataAccess = SystemDataAccessKind.None)]

I get "Object reference not set to an instance of an object"

So do I have to set my DataAccess to read and create a connection to send the informational info back to my client, or is there another way to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

• Not sure if this is your problem, but I don't think that you can do that from a CLR function. SQLFunctions have a great number of restrictions on them. Try it from a CLR stored procedure first (much fewer restrictions).

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• Yeah, I have seen numerous examples of a CLR stored proc, the problem is that I need a function.

I was hoping to pass an informational message back to the client without the use of an exception when I got data in my args that I did not expect.

Steve

• Sorry, I am pretty sure that the only ways for you to return information from a function are through the Function return value itself or else as an exception. SQL Server is pretty aggressive about trying to prevent any "side-effects" from functions.

[font="Times New Roman"]-- RBarryYoung[/font], [font="Times New Roman"] (302)375-0451[/font] blog: MovingSQL.com, Twitter: @RBarryYoung[font="Arial Black"]
    Proactive Performance Solutions, Inc.
    [/font]
    [font="Verdana"] "Performance is our middle name."[/font]

• I don't think you have access to the SQLContext.pipe from within a UDF. That's one of those ugly limitations the UDF's seem to have.

Since you have a function, your best bet might be to change its return type to carry more than just the true or false, but to also have the message you want back.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply