Select statement

• Hi everybody!

I have 2 tables. One containing the suppliers and one containing the users for each supplier. I tryed to create a select statement which is bringing me only the suppliers that have no users.

SELECT suppliers.supplierid, users.supplierid,

suppliers.suppliercode

FROM suppliers LEFT OUTER JOIN

users ON suppliers.supplierid = users.supplierid

So, the suppliers that have no user attached will have on the users.supplierid column the value = null. But I need only the suppliers that have the value null in users.suppliers

How do I write this condition? I tryed some ideas but didn't worked. Can anybody help me?

Thanks a lot,

Durug

• One solution that minimally changes your approach:

SELECT suppliers.supplierid, users.supplierid,

suppliers.suppliercode

FROM suppliers LEFT OUTER JOIN

users ON suppliers.supplierid = users.supplierid

where users.supplierid is null -- disregard any supplier with existing users

Steve Armistead,

Database Administration

Panther Systems Northwest, Inc.

Vancouver, WA

Steve

• Thanks!

I was using where supplierid = null. 🙁

Durug

• You can not use '= null' only 'Is null'

• =NULL is possible if you set the server to ANSI_NULLS OFF. (Through SET Statement, sp_DBOption, or ALTER DATABASE).

The Problem is it is not ANSI92 Compliant. It is better always to use ANSI standard.

(NULL means unknown. So, when 2 unknown are compared the answer should be again unknown.)

For more information check BOL

Cheers,
    Prithiviraj Kulasingham

http://preethiviraj.blogspot.com/

• quote:

=NULL is possible if you set the server to ANSI_NULLS OFF. (Through SET Statement, sp_DBOption, or ALTER DATABASE).

Thanks for the info! I was under impression, that since SQL7 '=NULL' not usable anymore.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply