SELECT INTO

• Steve

Thanks for fixing the graphic. Sorry I did not notice the cropping when I

submitted the question .... Next time I will be extra careful

Steve

However I agree with Hugo. I think it encourages more learning.

You'll either try to figure it out, or you'll type it in, which helps

cement it in your mind.

Nice summary of why I decided to use graphics whenever possible.

Like Hugo Kornelis I have also observed:

Hugo Kornelis

If you compare the ratio of correct vs incorrrect answers on questions

that can be copied and pasted vs anwers that can't you'll quickly see

that many people care more about gathering points

than about learning

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• Thanks for the question. I messed up and thought I read rows instead of columns. It kind of reminds me of the childhood riddle about if a plane crashed exactly on the border of 2 countries where would the survivors be burried?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Use Full Links:
    KB Article from Microsoft on how to ask a question on a Forum

• Trey Staker

It kind of reminds me of the childhood riddle about if a plane crashed exactly on the border of 2 countries where would the survivors be burried?

OK I give up what is the answer?

Ron

• You don't bury survivors.

Use Full Links:

• My point was that I didn't read the question as closely as I should have and my brain wanted to see rows not columns.

Use Full Links:

• Trey Staker (6/14/2010)

Thanks for the question. I messed up and thought I read rows instead of columns. It kind of reminds me of the childhood riddle about if a plane crashed exactly on the border of 2 countries where would the survivors be burried?

This analogy is perfect! Reading the question correctly is exactly what I did not do.

Oleg

• I have to get my eyes checked! columns != rows...

Lars Broberg
    Elbe-Data AB

• There have been a lot of questions lately where reading the question was as important as knowing the answer. This appears to be one of them, with a lot of people reading or thinking rows instead of columns. Kind of reminds me of the SATs.

• Hugo Kornelis (6/14/2010)

Steve Jones - Editor (6/14/2010)

if we allowed that language, I'm more concerned there are plenty of people that wouldn't be able to restrain themselves and we'd have it written in every other post. Maybe every other word.

Are we really that immature in this community of professionals? Well, I'll take your word for it, you've been running this site long enough that you should know!

Bradley Deem (6/14/2010)

In the future, please refrain from using a graphic for code as it just wastes unnecessary time retyping when it could have been copied and pasted instead. Remember this is about learning, and often times running the code before/after is part of that process so try not to inhibit such behavior.

I will continue to use graphics for my questions. If you compare the ratio of correct vs incorrrect answers on questions that can be copied and pasted vs anwers that can't you'll quickly see that many people care more about gathering points than about learning. If having to retype the code encourages at least some of them to use their brains instead of their right mouse button, I'm happy.

But I do hear you on the learning. For my future questions with code as a graphic, I'll try to post the code in a copy/paste format in the forums as soon as possible. I may not always be online when the question is published, and I may not always remember, but you may remind me of this promise.

How someone uses the QotD shouldn't be the choice of the questioner. Everyone learns differently and someone new to a topic may need to copy/paste to learn. Posting questions as graphics treats the audience like children. It's like the questioner is an angry teacher trying to punish the class for perceived cheating.

• Having a graphic doesn't stop you trying the code - typing it in actually aids the learning process, as you are processing what you are typing, rather than just seeing the results...

• OCTom

Posting questions as graphics treats the audience like children

In my opinion I think it is quite the contrary - for those that know T-SQL, it is a test of their knowledge.

For those that do not and only wish to earn points posting the code becomes a test of their ability to cut and paste, and not their knowledge of SQL. And they whine and cry about it.

For those that do not and desire to learn, typing and running is a more effective learning experience.

Ron

• I chose the wrong answer cause I didn't read the question properly. Answered the number of rows returned instead of number of columns. Now I'm just posting to get my points up 😀

Urbis, an urban transformation company

• +1 for the graphic T-SQL. (Maybe in the question forum a text version of the T-SQL can automatically be posted?)

-1 for the inconsistencies on when syntax and typos are meant to be part of the question or not.

• bitbucket-25253 (6/14/2010)

For those that do not and only wish to earn points posting the code becomes a test of their ability to cut and paste, and not their knowledge of SQL.

If all people want to do is earn points, they can just wait until the day after the question is asked (when the answer is given on the daily e-mail) and then just go and answer it with their new-found knowledge! 🙂

• This question was poorly presented.

I hope we don't see questions presented in this way again.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply