"Select * from @var" possible?

• Hi,

is it possible to select data from a table not specified by compile-time in T-SQL? SOmething like SELECT * FROM @table.

I get an error message every time i try to.

I would appreciate any help.

->Flo

• You could construct the slq text as a string and use: EXEC("sqlstring") or sp_Executesql.

Alternatively you could use a user defined function, which can be used in l=place of a tablename in a sql statement.

Paul Ibison

Paul.Ibison@btinternet.com

Paul Ibison
    Paul.Ibison@replicationanswers.com

• Thank you, exec(@query) works. But why doesn't it work with the variable in the from clause?

->Flo

• I guess it's because @table will be interpreted as the name of a table itself, rather than a variable holding the name. So if you didn't have a table called @name then the parser will complain as it can't create a query plan.

Paul Ibison

Paul Ibison

• May be, but "Select @column from Table" is accepted...

->Flo

• Interesting - never thought of this as a discrepancy before. However, I suppose there is a distinction. In the case of "Select @column, col1 from Table" the @column is not really a column. It holds a literal value assigned before the execution of the sql. This is shown be the fact that the query plan is unaltered between

Select @column, col1 from Table

and

Select col1 from Table

If you want @column to be a column name you still have to concatenate the text and use exec(sql).

Paul Ibison

Paul Ibison

• Sounds reasonable, well, i have thought of another reason, what do you think:

A sp is compiled at creation, isn't it? So, could it be that the compiler complains because it has to "hard-wire" the Tables in the query plan for efficiency reasons?

->Flo

• >> A sp is compiled at creation, isn't it

Not any more - it is compiled at first run - and possibly at every run if it is dependent on transient objects.

select * from @table

select @col, col1 from table

These are different things - the first is trying to access a object in a variable - the second is just outputting a literal in a variable.

I guess there is no reason now why the server couldn't replace @table with a variable name when it compile the SP - after all it can do this with temp tables and generate the query plan on the fly - even if the temp table structure changes during execution but the facility isn't available and you just have to live with it.

With 6.5 the objects were resolved when the SP was compiled so this wouldn't have been possible (imho a much better arrangement as you could detect missing objects before running the SP).

Cursors never.
    DTS - only when needed and never to control.

• In SQL 2000, you can do this:

declare @t table (myid int)

insert into @t select 1

select * from @t

The reason that you cannot specify a table is that the parser is expecting a table like structure from the target of the FROM clause. You variable is not a table, but in fact a variable. In sql 2000, you can do this by making this a table.

Keep in mind, this is not a placeholder, but in fact an object that is acted on. The column list allows columns or specific vales, like select 1 which is what your select @column is. You cannot do a select * from 1, which is what you are trying to do.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• I have a problem with the execute() statement. My sql string is correct, but if i execute it with exec() then the stored procedure returns, if it is a select query otherwise not, without executing the following statements.

For example:

declare @sql nvarchar(100)

set @sql='Select * into #temp_copy From ' + @table

exec ( @sql )

/*here it returns*/

/*the following code is never executed

set @sql='drop table ' + @table

exec ( @sql )

Does anyone know how to solve the problem?

By the way, i am using SQLServer v7.0

->Flo

• If you're on SQL 2000 I'd use Steve's solution - the table variable - as it's easier and doesn't need any clearing up of a temporary table. Also, the temp table will be deleted when the connection is dropped so you might not need any more code anyway.

Finally, if you do decide to use the table variable, BOL is not too clear about this but SQl Server Magazine explains that if you need to do a join, you must use an alias to get it to work.

Paul Ibison

Paul Ibison

• I ran this on SQL 2000

create table MyTest ( MyID int, MyChar varchar(20) )

go

insert MyTest select 1, 'A'

go

select * from MyTest

go

create procedure myProc

@tbl char( 10)

as

declare @cmd varchar( 100)

select @cmd = 'drop table ' + @tbl

select @cmd

exec( @cmd)

return

go

exec MyPRoc 'MyTest'

go

drop procedure myProc

go

It works. If I run the create and insert above and then run this:

declare @sql nvarchar(100), @table nvarchar( 100)

select @table = 'MyTest'

set @sql='Select * into #temp_copy From ' + @table

exec ( @sql )

/*here it returns*/

--the following code is never executed

set @sql='drop table ' + @table

exec ( @sql )

select * from MyTest

I get an error from the last statement as the table has been dropped. One thing, you have an unclosed comment on your second comment line. Also, the temp table is created within the space of the exec() statement and is not accessable from your connection.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• OK, thanks a lot, thats it. I didn't know that a temporary table created within an exec statement, isn't accessable from my connection. So i have to use a global temporary table i guess.... right, i have too. Have Just tried it, it works like it is suposed to be. I wrote a stored procedure which drops an entire column from a table, the table, column and the db are arguments to the procedure.

->Flo

• A temp table crated in an exec statement only has scope of that batch.

You can create a temp table with a dummy column, call the exec to alter the table and populate it then it will be accessible outside.

You can also use openquery with the exec as an argument to a select into to create the table.

Cursors never.
    DTS - only when needed and never to control.

• i am, as you have probably noticed, a T-SQL novice. I looked up the microsoft OPENQUERY dokumentation, but its not quite clear to me how to use it in this case. Could you please give me an example and explain it?

Thanks,

->Flo

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply