Select count from a ~big table takes forever and brings the Data IO to 100%

• I am trying to figure out the reason for a behavior that is not as I expect. I am running some tests on an isolated Azure database Standard-series (Gen5) with 8 cores. I have created +20 million records in a table called [ActivityLog] and I want to start testing my scenarios. To begin with, I have tried to see how many rows exactly I have created so I ran the command below:

select count(*) from ActivityLog with (nolock)

It took 7:41 minutes for the query to return 22,991,048 rows and the Data IO percentage (Max) jumped to 25% on SSMS.

I ran the same query at the same time on both Azure query editor and SSMS and the Data IO percentage (Max) jumped to 100% and stayed there for about 3 minutes.

I don't understand this. First isn't count something that SQL would keep in statistics?

Then should it take 7 minutes to count the primary indexes?

Progress

The script to create my table:

CREATE TABLE [dbo].[ActivityLogs](
    [TenantId] [varchar](25) NOT NULL,
    [Id] [bigint] NOT NULL,
    [CreatedAt] [datetime2](7) NOT NULL,
    [CreatedBy] [nvarchar](100) NOT NULL,
    [EntityType] [nvarchar](100) NOT NULL,
    [OldValue] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
    [NewValue] [nvarchar](max) NULL,
    [ContextData] [nvarchar](max) NOT NULL,
    CONSTRAINT [PK_ActivityLogs] PRIMARY KEY CLUSTERED
    (
    [TenantId] ASC,
    [Id] ASC
    )WITH (STATISTICS_NORECOMPUTE = OFF, IGNORE_DUP_KEY = OFF, OPTIMIZE_FOR_SEQUENTIAL_KEY = OFF) ON [PRIMARY]
    ) ON [PRIMARY] TEXTIMAGE_ON [PRIMARY]

Update:

I ran this query containing a field (EntityType) that I don't have any index on. It still ran the same execution plan and took the same time. I don't understand why.

select count(*) ,EntityType
    from ActivityLogs with (nolock)
    group by EntityType

Progress_group

Best Regards,
    Ashkan

• For a simple row count, you can query sys.dm_db_partition_stats.

😎

Suggestions:

1. Try running the query with option maxdop=1, the cost of parallel execution might be the costliest part of the query.
    2. An improved table structure is probably the best way to go here, a clustered index on the table could work wonders 😉
  • Hi Eirikur

Thanks a lot for the reply. I ran the query with the maxdop 1 as you suggested and I can see that the Data IO percentage (max) dropped to 10% but it took about 13 min to run it. So I guess it didn't help with the time.

group by EntityType
    OPTION (MAXDOP 1)

Progress_group_suggested

I did not get the second part of the suggestion though. I already have a clustered index which is my primary key (tenantId, id). did you mean that I would change that to be (tenantId, EntityType,id) or something else?

But these aside, I don't understand how can the execution plan of a normal count(*)  be the same as when I am grouping on something that is not a part of the index. Is it expected for you?

Best Regards,
    Ashkan

• ashkan sirous wrote:

I did not get the second part of the suggestion though. I already have a clustered index which is my primary key (tenantId, id). did you mean that I would change that to be (tenantId, EntityType,id) or something else?

Sorry, my bad, I meant a unique clustered index.

😎

Interestingly, it looks like you have been spending 9 years counting 😉

• Eirikur Eiriksson wrote:

😀 What can I say? If I can't count of how SQL counts, how do I do any other actions? 😛

Best Regards,
    Ashkan

• If you are only interested in EntityType, you  could use an nonclustered index on it. With a bit luck it only uses this index on one field instead of the larger clustered index. Test first

• ashkan sirous wrote:

I ran this query containing a field (EntityType) that I don't have any index on. It still ran the same execution plan and took the same time. I don't understand why.

group by EntityType

ashkan sirous wrote:

Eirikur Eiriksson wrote:

😀 What can I say? If I can't count of how SQL counts, how do I do any other actions? 😛

Your problems are all the same because nothing changed.  You're still asking for a Clustered Index Scan of ALL the rows in the table. This type of audit table would never be made to suffer in such a fashion.

Write a query as you would actually expect this "By Column" audit table to be used and properly index for it.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply