script to remove multiple tempdb files and just have 1 datafile and 1 log file

• Some server I inherited had multiple tempdb data files and 1 log file.

He prob created to distribute IO but he put all files on same drive which doesnt do good . also its a VM ware with VMDK drives.

Is there a way to delete all extra tempdb files and just have 1 mdf and 1 ldf?

• sqlguy80 - Thursday, June 1, 2017 3:59 PM

Some server I inherited had multiple tempdb data files and 1 log file.

He prob created to distribute IO but he put all files on same drive which doesnt do good . also its a VM ware with VMDK drives.

Multiple files addresses allocation contention issues with tempdb so multiple files actually does serve a purpose even if on the same drive. Having multiple data files for tempdb has been a common practice for awhile. The multiple files is now the default for tempdb when installing SQL Server 2016. The default number used is 8 or the number of logical cores, whichever is less.
    There is some more information and other links in the following article:
    Recommendations to reduce allocation contention in SQL Server tempdb database 

Sue

He prob created to distribute IO but he put all files on same drive which doesnt do good.

Correct, if you want to distrbute the I\O then use multiple drives, however, that's not the main reason for allocating multiple data files to Tempdb.

The main reason is to alleviate allocation contention on certain pages within the database. These files are typically placed on the same drive.

sqlguy80 - Thursday, June 1, 2017 3:59 PM

Remove the files from the system catalogs using the command below, then restart the SQL Server instance

ALTER DATABASE ... REMOVE FILE ... 

Monitor for allocation contention on TempDB and add files if necessary observing the best practice limits

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• If the disks are being sourced from a SAN, having separate drives for each tempdb file wouldn't matter, as each "drive" would probably be carved out of the same RAID array and physical disks in the SAN anyway.

Some server I inherited had multiple tempdb data files and 1 log file.

To be honest, unless you have more than 8 files, I'd probably leave it. It's not going to cause problems at that number, and it helps reduce allocation contention in TempDB.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply