Script to "find" table...

• Hello

I'm looking for a way to write a script that will run against a SQL Server's databases, and look for a certain table in each database. Is there any way to accomplish this?

• It's not pretty, but see whether this helps:

declare @sql varchar(400)

set @sql = 'select * from ?.information_schema.tables where table_name = ''[tablename]'''

exec sp_msforeachdb @sql

--replace [tablename] with the name of the table you are searching for

The output can be tidied up fairly simply through the use of a temp table.

Regards

Phil

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Phil, that worked GREAT!  Thank you very much.  1/2 my goal is worked out.

I now need to take each db indentified as possesing the "looked for table", and do a dump (xml, flat, whatever) of everything in it, minus data.  This would include sp's, triggers, tables, jobs, etc..

Any ideas?!  BTW, thanks again!

• Glad I could help.

I imagine you're after a SQL script that will recreate the database (minus the data). The way that I would do this is in Enterprise Manager. Right click a database, All Tasks, Generate SQL Script. Click on Show All and select Script All Objects.

This will not script the jobs, which are part of a system database (msdb I think) - but you can script jobs separately just by right-clicking them in EM ... as above.

Regards

Phil

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Here's EXACTLY what I'm after..my company puts out a product which adds a database, or databases, to someone's SQL server. We want a script we can give them via email/ftp that will

A. Hunt through their server and look for a specific table in all their databases. (done)

B. For each database the above (A) returns, the script dumps all info about EACH database into a text file. We'd like to be able to recreate their environment if needed.

THat's what I'm looking to do. Part A is done, thanks to you!

• Hi!

You have to write a program using DMO.

If you do not want to write - look here: http://www.sqlservercentral.com/scripts/contributions/1151.asp

It's your part B and even more.

Good Luck!

• >We'd like to be able to recreate their environment if needed.

See "Backups"?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Also be aware that the information_schema.* views only return results within the context of the executing user.

ie - if you're logged on as (any) user, and there is a table which this user has no permissions on, information_schema.* views will not return any information about that object. (though it does still exists)

/Kenneth

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply