Scheduling data extraction to excel

• Hi All,

I want to schedule a data extraction to excel and to save that excel file with a new name in a folder.Which method should I use: A stored procedure or a DTS package.

Also want to know , how to save a file from sql server .

Regards,

Ahmad

Regards,
    [font="Verdana"]Sqlfrenzy[/font]

• My guess / suggestion would be DTS Package;

• Ahmad, you can do either. I'm currently using stored procedures, in a process which flows as follows:

Start with a formatted Excel template file placed in an accessible folder

Copy to a working directory and rename using the current date as a suffix

Create a server link to it

Update it

Delete the server link

Copy it again using "_current" as a suffix

You gain a great deal of flexibility by having a "data" tab and a "display" tab in your Excel file, all data writes are to the "data" tab which has row/column identifiers in place which would otherwise mess up the appearance.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Thanks Chris,

I had to generate daily sales report and store as new file every day...Is it possible thru ur technik

Regards,

• Sounds like a perfect situation for a Reporting Services Fileshare Susbscription. 😀

Personal Motto: Why push the envelope when you can just open it?

If you follow the direction given HERE[/url] you'll likely increase the number and quality of responses you get to your question.

Jason L. Selburg
  • Ahmad Osama (3/14/2008)

Thanks Chris,

I had to generate daily sales report and store as new file every day...Is it possible thru ur technik

Yes it is, Ahmad. I'm using it for something very similar.

I can post the main stored procedures I use for this in their entirety, and fragments of other working code to help you - however, I'd strongly encourage you to study and achieve as much as you can first.

Cheers

ChrisM

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Hi Jason

I guess it does, having read a few bits and bobs about Reporting Services. We don't have it here, we're stuck on 2k for a while yet. I didn't even know it worked with 2k!

Cheers

ChrisM

• Yes, it works with 2000 and I believe it's on the SQL Server media. Oh, it's FREE and not too dificult to set up. Search these forums, or the web and you'll get more info.

If you follow the direction given HERE[/url] you'll likely increase the number and quality of responses you get to your question.

Jason L. Selburg
  • Yes it is, Ahmad. I'm using it for something very similar.

I can post the main stored procedures I use for this in their entirety, and fragments of other working code to help you - however, I'd strongly encourage you to study and achieve as much as you can first.

Cheers

ChrisM[/quote]

well..I've already started searhing for it.....I came thru sp_OAcreate functions to create excel file thru sql .... I am still working and will be able to do it.....Am I on right track.....

Thanks

Ahmad

Regards,

• Ahmad Osama (3/15/2008)

Yes it is, Ahmad. I'm using it for something very similar.

Cheers

ChrisM

well..I've already started searhing for it.....I came thru sp_OAcreate functions to create excel file thru sql .... I am still working and will be able to do it.....Am I on right track.....

Thanks

Ahmad[/quote]

Almost certainly Ahmad, and well done for going to the trouble. You will find this article useful...

http://www.simple-talk.com/sql/t-sql-programming/sql-server-excel-workbench/

... but you should also consider Reporting Services, as Jason suggests.

Cheers

ChrisM

• Thanks chris..

Where will I get an article on reporting services....

Regards,

• http://www.sqlreportingservices.net/BookSrs2000/default.aspx

Jason L. Selburg
  • Hi Chris,

I copied and executed the code that was at the specified url (shown below), I am getting the error "Msg 50000, Level 16, State 1, Procedure spExecute_ADODB_SQL, Line 53 Error while Executing DDL "Create table CambridgePubs (Pubname Text, Address Text, Postcode Text)", Operation is not allowed when the object is closed."

create procedure spExecute_ADODB_SQL

@DDL varchar(2000),

@DataSource Varchar(100),

@Worksheet varchar(100)=null,

@ConnectionString varchar(255)

= 'Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;

Data Source=%DataSource;

Extended Properties=Excel 8.0'

as

Declare

@objExcel int,

@hr int,

@command varchar(255),

@strErrorMessage varchar(255),

@objErrorObject int,

@objConnection int,

@bucket int

Select @ConnectionString

=replace (@ConnectionString, '%DataSource', @DataSource)

if @Worksheet is not null

Select @DDL=replace(@DDL,'%worksheet',@Worksheet)

Select @strErrorMessage='Making ADODB connection ',

@objErrorObject=null

EXEC @hr=sp_OACreate 'ADODB.Connection', @objconnection OUT

if @hr=0 Select @strErrorMessage='Assigning ConnectionString property "'

+ @ConnectionString + '"',

@objErrorObject=@objconnection

if @hr=0 EXEC @hr=sp_OASetProperty @objconnection,

'ConnectionString', @ConnectionString

if @hr=0 Select @strErrorMessage

='Opening Connection to XLS, for file Create or Append'

if @hr=0 EXEC @hr=sp_OAMethod @objconnection, 'Open'

if @hr=0 Select @strErrorMessage

='Executing DDL "'+@DDL+'"'

if @hr=0 EXEC @hr=sp_OAMethod @objconnection, 'Execute',

@Bucket out , @DDL

if @hr<>0

begin

Declare

@Source varchar(255),

@Description Varchar(255),

@Helpfile Varchar(255),

@HelpID int

EXECUTE sp_OAGetErrorInfo @objErrorObject, @source output,

@Description output,@Helpfile output,@HelpID output

Select @strErrorMessage='Error whilst '

+coalesce(@strErrorMessage,'doing something')+', '

+coalesce(@Description,'')

raiserror (@strErrorMessage,16,1)

end

EXEC @hr=sp_OADestroy @objconnection

go

Thanks,

Ahmad

Regards,

• Hi Ahmad

This isn't the method I use for reading / writing spreadsheets using TSQL, however I created the stored procedure using your code above and executed the following:

EXEC spExecute_ADODB_SQL

'Create table CambridgePubs (Pubname Text, Address Text, Postcode Text)',

'CambridgePubs',

'CambridgePubs',

'Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;

Data Source=%DataSource;

Extended Properties=Excel 8.0'

... which created 'CambridgePubs.xls' in directory 'C:\WINDOWS\system32' on the server, which is what I was expecting to see. I'd suggest checking your calling syntax of the stored procedure, but I suspect it's a security issue.

Cheers

ChrisM

• try this ..

spExecute_ADODB_SQL @DDL='Create table CambridgePubs

(Pubname Text, Address Text, Postcode Text)',

@DataSource ='C:\CambridgePubs.xls'

I have excel installed on my server ....I am unable to understand what's the problem...

Regards,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply