Scalar UDF Performance Issue

• tfifield (6/21/2009)

Jeff,

Thanks for your time and full test. You do a fine job of myth busting. I've used your reference on SELECT INTO #Temp not actually locking sysobjects in TempDB several times to resolve arguments with DBA's

Todd Fifield

Thanks Todd... I blew it this time, though :blush:... only disproved half the myth. :hehe: I was getting tired and didn't read the whole article that Paul cited... just scanned it. As a result, I missed the fact that it wasn't just about SELECTs. The really cool part of it is that good folks like Paul politely recognize that something was missed and take the time to show what that was... and Paul did it very well and with a great amount of class. Heh... and I love when I learn something new.

Thanks for the reminder on the SELECT/INTO thing. I don't trust much of anything on the Internet (even from Microsoft) so I actually did a full blown test on it. I've been meaning to write an article about all that because it comes up so much but I keep forgetting about it. I've put some reminders on my calendar thanks to your reminder. 🙂

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff,

I'm awaiting that article. It would be nice to have something that looks pretty to resolve these arguments I get into.

Todd Fifield

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply