Save query DTS result to local computer

• Hi,

I would like to save the output to my local coputer from a SELECT query of a table of a database in the remote server, how can I specify the path "myLocalComputerPath" in the following script?

use NorthWind

exec master..xp_cmdshell 'bcp "select * from NorthWind..Customers" queryout "myLocalComputerPath\Customers.txt" -T -c'

The database is on a remote server. I would like the output text file is saved on my local computer.

Thank in advance.

johnsql

• You have to grant the SQL Server service account appropriate permissions in the folder on your local machine and use the UNC name in the query.

E.g. (untested):

Assuming the UNC share name on your local machine is "myLocalComputerPath" and the name of your machine is "myLocalComputer":

use NorthWind

exec master..xp_cmdshell 'bcp "select * from NorthWind..Customers" queryout "\\myLocalComputer\myLocalComputerPath\Customers.txt" -T -c'

ML

---
    Matija Lah, SQL Server MVP
    http://milambda.blogspot.com

• Or - execute the DTS package from DTSRUN or DTSRUNUI on the local machine. By running from a local user and under the correct security context, you'd have access to saving the output locally.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply