SAN format - SQL Clustered

• Hi -

I have a SQL 2012 clustered environment, the data and log files reside in SAN. We have a need to reformat SAN drives where all the data and log files reside. What is the best way to backup the files, reformat SAN and then attach them back to the clustered environment?

Thanks.

• is this a physical or virtual hardware?

MCSE SQL Server 2012\2014\2016

• I have node 1 and node 2 (physical boxes) attached to SAN. All data and log files are stored on SAN LUNS, but the temp files stored on the local drives. Because of some performance issues, we need to reformat the SAN drives. Which it means we have to stop all SQL services, make backup of files to place them else where, reformat SAN and then attach the files back to the clustered environment. I need some guidance on how to implement it.

• is the SAN VMWare? are the disks attached as virtual? If not there are a couple things you can do;

1. detach databases and move files to another drive, move files back when done and attach databases.

2. take backups and restore over when SAN is done.

3. take backups, get clean blank drives and restore databases.

MCSE SQL Server 2012\2014\2016

• Nothing is virtual, it is all physical drives.

All I need is to know exactly the steps to migrate all the data and log files (system and user data and log files) from the SAN drives else where till the reformatting is done, then place them back on same drives after they are formatted.

• never mind, I was not searching correctly for how to implement it. There are many articles out there:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1058329-5-1.aspx

I just made backups, put sql server cluster resources offline. Asked network team to reformat drives, after making copies of files...

bring resources online.

Thanks.

• lsalih (2/21/2014)

never mind, I was not searching correctly for how to implement it. There are many articles out there:

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Topic1058329-5-1.aspx

I just made backups, put sql server cluster resources offline. Asked network team to reformat drives, after making copies of files...

bring resources online.

Thanks.

Another way would have been to mirror the LUNs to disk in a new storage pool and then break the mirror. Sounds like you got it sorted

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Yes, thanks. I initially was worried about the system files but things went smooth. We started by 1) putting resources offline 2) backup files and copying them else where 3) formatting drives 4) copying files back and last starting the resources online. Since there were no drive name changes, everything was good.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply