Same Execution Plan different stats

• anvegger - Thursday, October 18, 2018 12:41 PM

Actual number of rows is very similar (within 10% difference) Something is the counters is giving me the feelings that buffer read is involved but what and how - no clue

Thanks for your references

Actual number of rows may be identical.  It's the "rows read" that is the big difference.  The D has to read far more rows than the A to get the required number of rows.

There is also differences between the actual vs. estimated almost everywhere. 
    Try updating statistics on all of the tables.

Michael L John
    If you assassinate a DBA, would you pull a trigger?
    To properly post on a forum:
    http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/61537/

• Jeffrey Williams 3188 - Thursday, October 18, 2018 12:36 PM

There is much more data in the APP1_Dan database compared to the App1_Alex database for these tables - which is going to take longer to process.

That was also pointed in my post of

SET STATISTICS IO ON;  
    where all the logical reads were shown. Same counts in stats: but that is not what actual counts are showing from the physical counter

• anvegger - Thursday, October 18, 2018 12:41 PM

Actual number of rows is very similar (within 10% difference) Something is the counters is giving me the feelings that buffer read is involved but what and how - no clue

Thanks for your references

If you look at the plans - this is telling you that the actual number of rows it retrieved from the ActivityInstance is 4515 but it had to 'read' 16168215 to get that result.  On the other database the actual rows is 4429 but it only had to read 177160 rows to get that result.

If you further look at the number of rows from Schedule - which is significantly more in D than in A - and consider how many times the index seek is executed on the ActivityInstance table you can see why there are such a high number of reads on each of these tables which will translate to longer execution times.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• Jeffrey Williams 3188 - Thursday, October 18, 2018 1:15 PM

If you look at the plans - this is telling you that the actual number of rows it retrieved from the ActivityInstance is 4515 but it had to 'read' 16168215 to get that result.  On the other database the actual rows is 4429 but it only had to read 177160 rows to get that result.

That is correct: the question is
    how
    219 209 actual records in Table ActivityInstance have been 'read' 16 168 215 times in one database (Database D) and
    217 136 actual records in the same table ActivityInstance have beed 'read' only 177 160 times in the other  (Database A) using the same index and similar statistics. 

I don't see that logic processed from the execution plan.

• anvegger - Thursday, October 18, 2018 1:45 PM

Jeffrey Williams 3188 - Thursday, October 18, 2018 1:15 PM

That is correct: the question is
    how
    217 136 actual records in Table ActivityInstance have been 'read' 16 168 215 times in one database (Database D) and
    219 209 actual records in the same table ActivityInstance have beed 'read' only 177 160 times in the other  (Database A) using the same index and similar statistics. 

I don't see that logic processed from the execution plan.

The extra reads are due to the extra records in the Schedule and ActivityType tables

• Schedule    175982         45016 KB    22904 KB    21928 KB    184 KB
    Schedule    179796         46136 KB    23384 KB    22344 KB    408 KB

Many thanks for the wonderful picture DesNorton, but again - my actual number of records are increased in a small fraction of total numbers not in many times: 

All tables are in a normal grow ratio - 10 % or less, it should not be 50 times slow... in stat that is my concern Or I am thinking in a wrong way totally. 

Thanks for your help

• Let me re-iterate the issue:
    1. I have the same INSTANCE running on the virtual box
    2. I have two databases restored on that box next to each other
    3. I have the same query executed against those two databases producing the same {strange} execution plan
    4. The number of rows are slightly different (10% or less)

Why do I have in one case that query executed in 2 sec and another case - same query for 115 sec. The bottom line is in may case scenario : a number of logical reads have been increased for a few tables in many times and that is not completely clear to me. Why is that. 

Any explanation or a hint on how to improve the query speed time is greatly appreciated.

Thank you all

• anvegger - Thursday, October 18, 2018 3:06 PM

Let me re-iterate the issue:
    1. I have the same INSTANCE running on the virtual box
    2. I have two databases restored on that box next to each other
    3. I have the same query executed against those two databases producing the same {strange} execution plan
    4. The number of rows are slightly different (10% or less)

Why do I have in one case that query executed in 2 sec and another case - same query for 115 sec. The bottom line is in may case scenario : a number of logical reads have been increased for a few tables in many times and that is not completely clear to me. Why is that. 

Any explanation or a hint on how to improve the query speed time is greatly appreciated.

Thank you all

Did you look at Des Norton's reply above?  From here, it sounds like you have some accidental many-to-many joins going on.  Another name for such thing is "accidental hidden Cross Joins"

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• That would of been my thought as well but unfortunately I don't see that right in front of my query: everything looks very strait forward - especially the root : INDEX SEEK is not too much of a complication: It all starts from that base: takes that index and reads the number of rows in leaf.  But ends in millions of logical reads. and in only one specific case. How about if I DELETE fifty  thousand of rows - should that fix the condition of Hidden CROSS APPLY an bring that query back to "normal" fairly identical reads ?

Please advise ... I am running out of my logical thoughts Will test that DELETE statement first thing in the morning. Happy Friday everyone

• anvegger - Thursday, October 18, 2018 4:33 PM

That would of been my thought as well but unfortunately I don't see that right in front of my query: everything looks very strait forward - especially the root : INDEX SEEK is not too much of a complication: It all starts from that base: takes that index and reads the number of rows in leaf.  But ends in millions of logical reads. and in only one specific case. How about if I DELETE fifty  thousand of rows - should that fix the condition of Hidden CROSS APPLY an bring that query back to "normal" fairly identical reads ?

Please advise ... I am running out of my logical thoughts Will test that DELETE statement first thing in the morning. Happy Friday everyone

The problem starts with the Schedule table with almost 6 million actual/read rows compared to 66,000 actual/read rows in the other plan.  That is 90 times more rows that are read in that plan compared to the other plan.

Since all joins downstream from that are nested loops - the reads on those objects are going to be increased dramatically.  Look at the execution plan and see how many times those downstream objects are executed.

It isn't the difference in number of rows in those tables - it is all about the difference in the number of rows in the Schedule table.  If that table has nearly the same number of rows in both databases then there must be a deeper issue that is causing more rows to be read and output in the database for plan D.

Jeffrey Williams
    “We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.”

― Charles R. Swindoll

How to post questions to get better answers faster
    Managing Transaction Logs

• anvegger - Thursday, October 18, 2018 4:33 PM

That would of been my thought as well but unfortunately I don't see that right in front of my query: everything looks very strait forward - especially the root : INDEX SEEK is not too much of a complication: It all starts from that base: takes that index and reads the number of rows in leaf.  But ends in millions of logical reads. and in only one specific case. How about if I DELETE fifty  thousand of rows - should that fix the condition of Hidden CROSS APPLY an bring that query back to "normal" fairly identical reads ?

Doing a DELETE isn't the way to fix this problem.  Fixing the code is.  And it's not an accidental CROSS APPLY... it's an accidental CROSS JOIN due to a lack of proper criteria.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeffrey Williams 3188 - Thursday, October 18, 2018 5:38 PM

It isn't the difference in number of rows in those tables - it is all about the difference in the number of rows in the Schedule table.  If that table has nearly the same number of rows in both databases then there must be a deeper issue that is causing more rows to be read and output in the database for plan D.

Precisely: The number of rows are within reasonable 10% distance of that  table dbo.Schedule : 175982 (Database A) vs 179796 (Database D). There is no explanation why we have 5 + million scans and multi million logical reads from  table D.dbo.Schedule that only has 179796 rows  properly clustered .  Thanks for noticing

• Jeff Moden - Thursday, October 18, 2018 5:53 PM

Doing a DELETE isn't the way to fix this problem.  Fixing the code is.  And it's not an accidental CROSS APPLY... it's an accidental CROSS JOIN due to a lack of proper criteria.

Sorry - misstyping : CROSS JOIN I meant ... The query is very simple. There is nothing to be even look at: a half  a dozen of tables simply  INNER JOIN to produce a zero result set over WHERE clause that filters an un-existing location.  I am lost and my brain stopped working

• anvegger - Wednesday, October 17, 2018 1:21 PM

Database A:
    Table 'Schedule'. Scan count 66000, logical reads 216829, physical reads 19, read-ahead reads 16, lob logical reads 0, lob physical reads 0, lob read-ahead reads 0.

Database D:
    Table 'Schedule'. Scan count 5944460, logical reads 19546150, physical reads 18, read-ahead reads 8, lob logical reads 0, lob physical reads 0, lob read-ahead reads 0.

• anvegger - Thursday, October 18, 2018 2:58 PM

Schedule    175982         45016 KB    22904 KB    21928 KB    184 KB  -- Database A
    Schedule    179796         46136 KB    23384 KB    22344 KB    408 KB  -- Database D

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply