Sabbatical

• KWymore (1/9/2014)

Train for a marathon and get a bunch of people to sponsor you for charity. Then run it about a week before you have to go back to work. Blog your progression through your training regimen and then post pics from the actual event.

You might be pushing it with only six weeks, regardless of fitness/health. :w00t:

qh

[font="Tahoma"]Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes. – Carl Jung.[/font]
  • learn how to make your own hawaiian shirts?

---------------------------------------------------------------------

• Is this a time of dramatically fewer interruptions allowing focussed effort on a "project" or is it a sabbatical?

If it really is a sabbatical, you could start with the concept of sabbath and rest from there.

I find it interesting that sabbatical and frenetic activity are considered equivalent.

• For me, the idea of a sabbatical concerns the learning of something new and returning back with a new skillset and outlook

I had more envisioned someone who had been working many years in one field taking 4 years out (unpaid) to study for a degree in university with the intention of returning to his/her employers.

• quackhandle1975 (1/10/2014)

KWymore (1/9/2014)

Train for a marathon and get a bunch of people to sponsor you for charity. Then run it about a week before you have to go back to work. Blog your progression through your training regimen and then post pics from the actual event.

You might be pushing it with only six weeks, regardless of fitness/health. :w00t:

qh

Yeah that would be overly ambitious. A 5 K might be a little more practical. Also there are a lot of charity 5K runs.

• Take a course to get you over your fear of flying? And any other phobias you might have; just get them gone.

Habitat for Humanity sounds like a good one.

• KWymore (1/9/2014)

I've done a marathon, but having knee surgery this year. Unlikely to do this. However, if my wife decides to try this at some point, I'll do it with her.

• george sibbald (1/10/2014)

learn how to make your own hawaiian shirts?

ROFL, I have wanted to learn how to sew. Perhaps I'll tag this into something I do. Maybe as a "20 hour" experiment.

• Nelson Petersen (1/10/2014)

Is this a time of dramatically fewer interruptions allowing focussed effort on a "project" or is it a sabbatical?

If it really is a sabbatical, you could start with the concept of sabbath and rest from there.

I find it interesting that sabbatical and frenetic activity are considered equivalent.

The idea of sabbatical is personal growth. It's not frenetic activity, but growing yourself in some way, not necessarily related to work.

• Ah Okay, good call. Good luck with that surgery. My father in-law just had knee surgery and recovered fully in under 2 months. Pretty good at 65.

• A sabbatical is about taking time out of your normal routine to do something productive that you could not normally do.

I think you are starting well, putting some constraints on where you want to go, maybe no more than 30 to 50 miles from your home. Other people may want to travel more, but for you this is too much like your normal routine.

If this was for me, I would want to look at the 'giving to others' and 'building up myself' split. Both are good options, and for someone who already gives a lot to the community a bit of personal focus can be a good idea.

It is useful to be realistic at what can be achieved in 6 weeks. This seems a long time but it will soon go. If you want to do something productive rather than just chill, it has to be treated as a project. Decide on something you really want to do, and work out if you can make a lasting impact on the work in 6 weeks. Sort out your expectations and measure progress to them.

When the sabbatical is done, do not get tied into a retrospective around something better you could have done - just focus on whether you achieved what you wanted.

Original author: https://github.com/SQL-FineBuild/Common/wiki/ 1-click install and best practice configuration of SQL Server 2019, 2017 2016, 2014, 2012, 2008 R2, 2008 and 2005.

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor they call me a communist - Archbishop Hélder Câmara

• EdVassie (1/14/2014)

A sabbatical is about taking time out of your normal routine to do something productive that you could not normally do.

I think you are starting well, putting some constraints on where you want to go, maybe no more than 30 to 50 miles from your home. Other people may want to travel more, but for you this is too much like your normal routine.

If this was for me, I would want to look at the 'giving to others' and 'building up myself' split. Both are good options, and for someone who already gives a lot to the community a bit of personal focus can be a good idea.

It is useful to be realistic at what can be achieved in 6 weeks. This seems a long time but it will soon go. If you want to do something productive rather than just chill, it has to be treated as a project. Decide on something you really want to do, and work out if you can make a lasting impact on the work in 6 weeks. Sort out your expectations and measure progress to them.

When the sabbatical is done, do not get tied into a retrospective around something better you could have done - just focus on whether you achieved what you wanted.

Good summary and I agree. 6 weeks seems like a long time, but it will go quickly.

I'm leaning to doing something for myself and something for others. Now need to figure out the scheduling.

Viewing 12 posts - 61 through 71 (of 71 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply