SA Passwords

• Our DBA has left the building and with them goes all the SA passwords for all SQL instances. They have not written them down and there is no way the DBA can be found.

Is there a way of:

a) finding out what the password is

or

b) changing the password

SQLCMD is also NOT active

• As long as you have a single sysadmin login (windows authentication one is probably good) you can change the passwords. If you don't, then restart SQL in single user mode and any windows login that's a member of the machine's administrators group will be considered sysadmin

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I will try that...thanks for your help

• You can't find the Sa password but you can change it as Gail mentioned. Follow that approach.

Thank You,

Best Regards,

SQLBuddy

• Or use the service account to connect to your sql instance and change the sa password.

Before doing this, double check no application connects using sa for login. (modify pwd needed in that case)

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• After changing the password, write it down and put it in a safe or save it in an electronic password safe. Then don't use it except for emmergencies. In 17 years as a DBA teh number of times I've actually needed the sa password have been few and far between. Ideally no one should know or have easy access to the sa password.

Cheers

Leo

Leo
    Nothing in life is ever so complicated that with a little work it can't be made more complicated.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply