Sa Password

• HI All,

There is so many people in my company is knowing the sa's pwd.  I want to change it, but I'm not sure will the change affects anything: jobs, store procedures.  Will someone please help?

Thanks,

Minh Vu

• Change the sa cannot change any object in your SQL, but if you have an application that connect to the SQL using the sa user id, you must change in your application

• We went through the same problem.  We had consultants in and everybody that used sql server knew the 'sa' password.  Its not as difficult as you might think on sql server side.  Check out  'How to assign the sa password on a newly installed server (Enterprise Manager)' in BOL.  Deni is right, if your application uses the 'sa' account for authentication or possibly any services etc... they will need to be changed as well.  You would need to change ODBC also if used there.  You should not have a problem with stored procedures unless hardcoded and also if there are any command line programs that would have the 'sa' userid and password hardcoded.  Change it and keep it close so you only have to do this once.

• Check SQL Server Agent properties on how it connects to SQL Server on Connection tab. Also check how your Enterprise manager and Query Analyzer are connected

Regards,Yelena Varsha

• One 'biggie' commonly missed is also the JOBs that the SQL agent executes. DTS and bcp also come to mind ...

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply