Running Total Performance

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Running Total Performance

Aunt Kathi Data Platform MVP
    Author of Expert T-SQL Window Functions
    Simple-Talk Editor

• Kathi Kellenberger (4/2/2015)

Comments posted to this topic are about the item <A HREF="/questions/Running+Totals/124109/">Running Total Performance</A>

Thx, very interesting.

• Interesting question but maybe too easy with some minutes to spend :

- Plenty of RAM : too easy to be the good choice

- to use OPTIMIZE : never seen this parameter in the OVER clause

- to use older methods : surprising

only one left choice

• Ran into this issue myself some months ago. Even wrote a blog post about it (shameless plug ahead!):

Beware the defaults! (in windowing functions)[/url]

The book by Itzik describes this behaviour in great detail: it's because ROWS can use a specialized in-memory table for temporary results, but RANGE cannot and has thus to use the slower disk option.

Funny is that a colleague of mine ran into this issue today and I just helped her solve it 😀

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• There is no OPTIMIZE in the OVER clause. It was just a wrong answer. So, the older methods is something that people might think of because window aggregates without an ORDER BY in the OVER clause sometimes do not perform as well as older methods.

Thanks,

Kathi

Simple-Talk Editor

• Itzik's book on windows functions is fantastic, and I have learned a lot from him. ROWS does use an in-memory table most of the time, but not in every case. When it does use an in-memory table, the performance is great.

Simple-Talk Editor

• Kathi Kellenberger (4/3/2015)

ROWS does use an in-memory table most of the time, but not in every case.

Yeah, there are some conditions that have to be met, such as the window frame extents, but I didn't memorize them. 🙂

• Koen Verbeeck (4/3/2015)

The book by Itzik describes this behaviour in great detail: it's because ROWS can use a specialized in-memory table for temporary results, but RANGE cannot and has thus to use the slower disk option....

Thank you for that book advice.

ww; Raghu
    --
    The first and the hardest SQL statement I have wrote- "select * from customers" - and I was happy and felt smart.

• Thank you for post, really good one. I have theoretically read about this but never actually used it at all.

ww; Raghu
    --
    The first and the hardest SQL statement I have wrote- "select * from customers" - and I was happy and felt smart.

• Be sure to check out my new book as well!

Simple-Talk Editor

• Even with the correct answer, I'm still disappointed in the performance. MS really could have done a better job on this particular subject.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Kathi Kellenberger (4/3/2015)

Be sure to check out my new book as well!

I might. Is there anything in there that is not in Itzik's book?

• There are a few things, such as creating a custom window aggregate function. Itzik's book spends a lot of time talking about theoretical functionality that I don't. I also have a great chapter written by BI guru Clayton Groom that shows how to use window functions instead of SSAS cubes. My teaching style is different than Itzik's as well.

Simple-Talk Editor

• Jeff -- For the running totals functionality, I think the performance is pretty good if you use ROWS and have the correct index in place. Where I really wish they did things better is windows aggregates without the ORDER BY in the OVER clause.

Simple-Talk Editor

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply